Need help with odometer/temp lights

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Butter03
Scoobytruck Lurker

Need help with odometer/temp lights

Post by Butter03 »

:?: I have a 2005 baja turbo both odometer and outside temp lights are out, the dash lights are fine. Anyone know which lights to replace and how to do it .I refuse to have subaru do it $$. [smilie=boggl3y3dummy-ani.gif]
das_fool
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Need help with odometer/temp lights

Post by das_fool »

Welcome Butter03, check out this thread about the instrument cluster light mods. There are pics and discussions on removing the cluster to get to the bulbs (also what parts you need). And while you have the dash apart, you'll be able to use colored LEDs instead of stock lighting (if thats yer thing!).

http://scoobytruck.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1077

I'm actually waiting for my replacement LEDs to come in, the bulb behind my fuel gauge is out. So I decided to see what a few LEDs could do. :)

-fool
Butter03
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Butter03 »

Thanks that's a great topic
Butter03
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Butter03 »

Fool
Can you let me know specifically which ones I need to order from (superbright) ? I don't know what I need to buy to replace all light including HVAC.. I"m confused on whitch ones to get , I would appreciate. Thanks
das_fool
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by das_fool »

Butter - here's what I ordered. I ordered a few extra, just in case I want to do some other lights. I think I read that you only really need 7 of the T1.5 and 4 of the WLEDx4.

Quantity: 10
Product: T1.5 Instrument LED bulb $ 1.79 (each)
Options: High Power SMD T1.5-xHP 1.00 Blue
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... 74_t15.htm

Quantity: 5
Product: WLED-x4 LED bulb $ 1.59 (each)
Options: 90 Degree Blue WLED-B4-x 1.00
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... LED-x4.htm
Butter03
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Butter03 »

Hi Fool
Just wondering ,I was reading the other topic and they were speaking of a screen for the odometer/temp. Do you know what they are talking about? And which size goes in odometer/temp?
I'm trying to get all the right bulbs before I tear apart my dash. :D Might even put another head unit in while I'm at it :)
Thanks for all the info
das_fool
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by das_fool »

Not sure which bulb lights that part...thats why I ordered a complete set so I would be able to get it done all at once. Though, the dash doesn't look all that difficult to remove. I'm also thinking about replacing the stock deck with something that has an aux in and bluetooth.
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

hey guys, welcome to the site.

I was the first documented dash light color conversion, so I hope I can answer your questions.

If its just the LCD screen that no longer lights up, you only need the small #74(T5) type bulbs, and if you want to make them blue, throw some Blue LED's in there. you only need 1 per side, but buy a couple extra just in case.

The 4 larger bulbs/LEDs, the #94 (T10), only light up the Speedo,Tach, and temp/fuel.

as far as a "screen", dont quite know what youre referring to, but there is a tint to the plastic somewhere back there that makes white light look slightly green. so dont go for white.

Hope this helps.

On a side note, could you guys add locations to your profiles please. Just a state or region would be great. Thanks!!
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
das_fool
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by das_fool »

Well, I'll retract my statement about the instrument cluster being easy to remove...the first time got rather nasty. Luckily I only broke one tab that retains the cable for the hazard switch (so now its a quick release cable :wink: ). Would recommend removing the entire cluster when working on it; I thought I had enough room to swap out bulbs, but only ended up dropping my spare LED into the dark recesses of my dash. But its all done, and the blue looks nice. My only complaint is that the blinkers are super bright at night (I may consider getting the slightly less powerful ones to swap out.) I'll try to grab some pics soon to post.

Also tried to swap out my deck and realized I forgot to order the wiring harness...and I really didnt feel brave enough to cut the cables and splice them into the new deck. So, its back to waiting for the harness to be in stock at crutchfield.
Butter03
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Butter03 »

Thanks for the info just ordered lights and gonna order a new head unit today, can't wait .I was thinking about tradeing my baja in on a truck, but decided not to I like my car to much.LOL [smilie=666.gif]
Butter03
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Butter03 »

Well I got my led lights and head unit in yesterday,but waiting for wire harness and adapter plate. So I'm going to wait till everything comes in to tear into my dash. :D I'll post pic when all said and done..
Butter03
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Butter03 »

Hey guys got the dash lights changed out,they look great. :D One of my heated seat switch lights has gone out ,it,s a tiny little rubber mounted light.Has anyone changed these out little lights out ,if so what led size are they?
And I'm still waiting for my radio adpter .
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

awesome, take pics!!!
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!