Need to change tranny fluid & differential oil?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

Need to change tranny fluid & differential oil?

Post by Caaron »

The Subaru dealer says I should change the tranny fluid and front & rear differential oil at 30,000 miles. My regular mechanic says it isn't necessary. Anyone know whether it is important to change or just another dealer profit margin up-sell?

Chuck
2006 Turbo Baja
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Need to change tranny fluid & differential oil?

Post by bulwnkl »

Both, sort of. IMEO, changing differential once after ~5-10,000 miles is more important than any other differential service in a 'regular-use' passenger vehicle. If you tow, then regular changes may be important.

ATF drains on a regular basis can dramatically extend the life of your tranny. Or, they can do nothing. Again, it depends upon your usage.

In the case of what the dealer's telling you, he's mainly trying to get some non-warranty service work through the shop. Your indie mechanic is probably advising you properly if he knows you very well. Personally, I'd change the fluids in all 3 out, but then probably never do the diffs again. I'm a person who will still drain ATF on a regular basis, but the frequency is based on my towing, etc.
moonzie
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by moonzie »

Caaron wrote:The Subaru dealer says I should change the tranny fluid and front & rear differential oil at 30,000 miles. My regular mechanic says it isn't necessary. Anyone know whether it is important to change or just another dealer profit margin up-sell?
every 30k miles seems a bit silly. Now I can see once every 60k miles perhaps. But as Bulwnkl said, if you're doing a lot of towing (and I mean a lot) then perhaps once ever 30k miles isn't a bad idea.

I changed mine back at...? 65k miles? Not hard for a DIY'er. Took me all of 25 minutes. I only changed it because I thought the rear end was grinding some on hard slow turns. Many many miles later I discovered I had some pretty serious alignment issues in the rear that was causing it.
beancountertx
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by beancountertx »

moonzie wrote:
Caaron wrote:The Subaru dealer says I should change the tranny fluid and front & rear differential oil at 30,000 miles. My regular mechanic says it isn't necessary. Anyone know whether it is important to change or just another dealer profit margin up-sell?
every 30k miles seems a bit silly. Now I can see once every 60k miles perhaps. But as Bulwnkl said, if you're doing a lot of towing (and I mean a lot) then perhaps once ever 30k miles isn't a bad idea.

I changed mine back at...? 65k miles? Not hard for a DIY'er. Took me all of 25 minutes. I only changed it because I thought the rear end was grinding some on hard slow turns. Many many miles later I discovered I had some pretty serious alignment issues in the rear that was causing it.
RLOL :lol:
You must be the change you want to see in the world.-Gandhi
Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Caaron »

Thanks for the responses--I don't tow anything so I should be OK, but I think I will have the fluids changed since I like to keep and drive my vehicles for a long time. I'll change it now and again at 70K.

Chuck
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

the dealership, when I had my recall done, quoted me $140 to service both front and rear differential's.....
Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Caaron »

That $140 sounds a lot more reasonable than the $270 my dealer quoted me for it. I'm thinking I'll just take it to an independent repair shop or tranny place and have them do it instead. Changing Diff fluid and tranny fluid isn't rocket science...

Chuck
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

I pisked up a $25 Haynes manual, and I am going to do mine myself....