Tires. We all need em - Heres the Thread for em .

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

rglass1040
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Tires. We all need em - Heres the Thread for em .

Post by rglass1040 »

Baja.jpg
Baja.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 34465 times
IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0172.JPG (635.29 KiB) Viewed 34465 times
I just did some measurement and I will be able to fit 215/70-16 General Grabber AT2's even before I put in the 1" lift. Will send pics. Keep threatening to take the wheels off the wife's 2018 Crosstrek. Will have my eye out on a set of take offs
EDIT*** Went with tire with no known fitment issue 215/65-60 (mainly due to killer deal $100/ea from Walmart) These AT2's are easily as good as the KO2's I have had on other vehicles. Kinda wish I had the 215/70 but these will work out great for the trails.
Pics from the morning grocery run...
Rich
'06 Baja, Black, 1" Lift, 215/65 Generals
'18 Crosstrek, Sunshine Orange
Leon in PA
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Leon in PA »

Ya know the 2018's won't fit without adapters?
firebanex
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by firebanex »

Fitment has been beaten to death so I'm just going to contribute a couple short thoughts on the couple of tires I've had on my Baja in the last 6 years I've owned it in the Interior of Alaska. I've only got a modest 1" lift and pretty much stuck to stock sizes.

Summer Use:
Nokian WRG4 225/60/16. They felt a bit squirmy in turns but otherwise I wore them out in 5 summer seasons of use. Did not buy again because I didn't really like the squirmy feeling and I got the next tire instead.
Falken Wildpeak AT Trail 215/65/16. I feel like these tires were designed for the Baja. AT style tires for those of us who don't really do true offroading but instead live places where a very large portion of our daily driven roads are dirt and gravel. My daily commute is 4 miles of gravel and 16 miles of paved round trip. Bonus points is it's actually a very good snow tire too. It is NOT an ice tire tho. I made it through the first snows this year with zero issues but the moment it started forming ice on the road, they showed that the rubber is much too hard to be a winter tire in Alaska. So, if you are looking for an AT tire but like to keep your gas mileage up and occasionally you go places that have snow and dirt. Buy this and be a happy driver.

Winter Tire because I see no reason to ever buy anything different at this point.
Nokian Hakkapelita (whatever version fits your car in general). 4 Winters in and I'm still only at 60% tread left and I put them on each year in October and take them off mid-April. They are fantastic for interior Alaska driving.
Trunc
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Trunc »

Falken Wildpeak A/T tires are excellent. Great tread pattern, tough, and quiet. They are my go to tire for on/off road versatility.
Trunc
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Trunc »

Can anyone help with this ?
What is the largest tire size that fit a 2006 Baja without a lift or modification?