Tires. We all need em - Heres the Thread for em .

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

hallway
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Tires. We all need em - Heres the Thread for em .

Post by hallway »

I just bought a 215/70 R16 Nitto Tires model Dura Grappler. Perfect fit no rubbing issue. The only down side is the road noise it produces.
speedwaygirl
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by speedwaygirl »

dfritz wrote:I gave up trying to get "Ultra High Performance" All Seasons in the OEM size, and took the bait on 17's. ( my trucklet is not a substitute for a real truck, I have real trucks, it's more of a turbo AWD sports car).

So I got the Kumho Ecsta 4X, an ok set of wheels, and by the time I got credit for my very prematurely worn-out Pilot Sport AS/Plus, rebates and offers, sold off my old wheels, I was only in about $200 bucks deeper.

They are an ok tire, seem pretty quiet right now, do ok in mud and rain, and corner and stop well. And cheap. I'm sure they will wear out fast, but would rather wear out a cheap very good tire quickly than a expensive very good tire quickly, like I just did with the Michelins.

I'll stick with my 16" set of wheels with the Dunlop Wintersports for winter, hopefully they will still make them or Blizzacks in 16" when this set wears out. By the way, these tires don'e wear out hardly at all. The rubber just seems to get harder with the years. I kept set on that really was past due as per snow traction on thru the summer, and gave out trying to wear them out. Nicest , quietest, grippiest tires I've ever had.
I am in the same place right now. I have a 2014 XV 5MT as a daily driver, so I'm looking for more road performance out of my Baja Turbo tires instead of the usual truck/off-road mobile. Looking at a 17" aftermarket wheel, but the available tire choice in the summer high performance category is slim to none. Very disappointing. How have the Kumhos worked out?
2006 OBP Baja Turbo 5MT
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

I run Hankook 727's on my summer wheels and love them.......
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

Just put on my second set of Goodyear Triple Tred Assurance tires.....can't beat them for most of the time up North here. Michelin X-ice for the really bad winter mountain travels!!
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

I had Hankook 4S tires earlier, and I was happy with those. Never got stuck in snow and handled pretty well, stuck to the road decently in the summer, and didn't hydroplane like the previous tires. Even spirited driving on twisty mountain roads, while carrying 1000lbs of stuff, wasn't a problem.

But, I've since worn those tires out completely, and had to get replacements... the selection in the original size of 225/60R16 seems pretty limited, and the Hankook 4Ss aren't available in California (was originally living north of Toronto), so I went with KUMHO ECSTA LX. Just got them, so we'll see how they work out.
goswald79
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by goswald79 »

bajadutchie wrote:after reading a lot of things about the tires a decided to go for the sport look instead of the off road truck look.
Not enough off roading here to justify real off roaders and also they are expensive here.
I had a cheap set of 18 inch rims so bought the falken tyre in 225/ 50 / 18. i think is it is the ZE tyre
Heres a pic.tacho is a little below the acutal speed but close enough
The 18's look good. Any issues with rubbing?
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Just want to give a review of the BF Goodrich AT KO2 in 255-55-R18 now that I have about a thousand miles on the clock. I read allot about this tire and decided on it after the rave reviews and that it was in the perfect size. You will need 5 inches of lift, 20mm spacers, and front and rear fender well modifications to run this tire.

On-Road: Since this tire is in the new category of low profile off-road tires I expected decent on-road performance but nothing as good as it turned out to be. Compared to stock these tires are not a sacrifice of on-road handling for off-road traction, they are a major upgrade in handling. While they certainly would not equal a dedicated summer performance tire they are closer to that outcome than they are to the stock tire size. Grip under hard acceleration is excellent and while I can break them free under power they behave like a good performance tire and regain traction without any drama. Cornering is also far better than my expectations, entry speeds into corners has improved with this tire over stock and while some of that is due to the suspension the tires are providing a feel more consistent with a summer performance tire than an off-road tires.

-Off-road: I have not had a chance to run these in mud or snow yet, but so far on gravel and dirt they are consistent with the high ratings others have given them and I expect mud and snow performance will be just as good. The one weak spot that I would expect from them is rock crawling due to the lack of a large sidewall to conform over the rocks. That said it is on a truck that lacks the articulation of a solid axle truck and has no low range and is not ever going to be a great rock crawler.

All things considered I don't think there is a tire better suited to maximizing the excellent on and off road performance that the Baja provides. If these appear in smaller sizes that could fit on a stock Baja it would be a perfect match.

anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Thanks for the review! Maybe sometime in the future I'll have the skills and funds to do something like that to mine, if the cornering and handling is as good as you say. I enjoy driving on twisty mountain roads, but like the flexibility to tow stuck cars out of the mud.
sanremored
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by sanremored »

OK, so I have some 17" XV Crosstrek wheels and want to know what the largest size I can run with no issues. Would prefer something that will spend most of its time on the road but want to do some off-roading as well. Anyone have some suggestions?
Anomaly
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Anomaly »

sanremored wrote:OK, so I have some 17" XV Crosstrek wheels and want to know what the largest size I can run with no issues. Would prefer something that will spend most of its time on the road but want to do some off-roading as well. Anyone have some suggestions?
Honestly, the best thing to do is go on a site like Tire Rack, type in your vehicle, add wheels that are the same size as the ones you have and see what size they recommend. I'm in the process of upgrading to 17x8 Motegi Racing MR118 wheels (not putting them on until spring) and Tire Rack recommended 225/55/17.
mikeeitup
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikeeitup »

I really wanna get a set of the BFG KO2 in 215/65.r16 for the Baja with only 1" of lift. I wonder if I'll have rubbing issues right out of the gate though. Thoughts?
Mike
Anomaly
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Anomaly »

mikeeitup wrote:I really wanna get a set of the BFG KO2 in 215/65.r16 for the Baja with only 1" of lift. I wonder if I'll have rubbing issues right out of the gate though. Thoughts?
Mike
You should be good. Remember that 215 is the width of the tire and 65 means the sidewall height is 65% of 215. Seeing as Tire Rack recommended 225/55/17 for my wheels, I have a width of 225 and an approximate sidewall height of 123.75 (55% of 225). At 216/65, you will have a width of 215 and a sidewall height of 139.75 (if I did the math correctly). The width is absolutely fine and the height should be good even without the 1" of lift as the Bajas sit fairly high to begin with. Besides, you're talking 16" wheels where I'm moving up to a 17" set, so I've got an additional inch of circumference (1/2 from center).
mikeeitup
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikeeitup »

Got them put on just in time for the east coast storm! Super excited these things look so aggressive!!!
Mike

Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Looks great, and that is an awesome size option for stock height trucks. I love my K02s, how are you enjoying yours?
mikeeitup
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikeeitup »

Acro2pilot wrote:Looks great, and that is an awesome size option for stock height trucks. I love my K02s, how are you enjoying yours?
I like 'em! Getting used to how they handle still but they where phenomenal during the storm. Two snow plows got stuck on my hill but my scooby made it up the hill with ease. My dads Dodge Dakota with ATs got stuck and to prove a point I did the same thing as him and got out no problem. Love these tire and car combo! They make a lot more road noise than I expected though but I have a roof rack so it does not bother me. They have a very nice and thick wall so I am not worried about punctures. Can't wait to see my mpg drop lol
Mike