Tires. We all need em - Heres the Thread for em .

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Ahzlon
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Tires. We all need em - Heres the Thread for em .

Post by Ahzlon »

215/65R16's are actually a bit undersized for the Baja. Will off set your speedo at 65mph by about 3-4mph.
kman.45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by kman.45 »

just installed Potenza G019 Grid's too. They are being discontinued according to guy at B'Stone/Firestone. I was also considering the Firestone Wide Oval A/S, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, and General Altimax HP. I've been getting tires and alignments and the same store for about 10 years (at least 6 different cars) so stuck with them in the end. The salesman told me the Firestones would have been a good choice too, but recommended the Potenza Grid's since the tread is a bit harder and he said it would be better for gravel roads and the light off-road conditions I drive in (hunting, pulling ATV/motorcycles). So far I like them, got rid of Uniroyal Tiger Paws that only had about 20K miles on them, absolutely horrendous tires in the wet, damn near zero traction.

mowillie
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mowillie »

I am also going to be getting a more aggressive AT tire, but I keep holding out because I want to find shocks and struts from an 04-06 for my 2003. Does it make that much difference in the height?
spazomatic
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazomatic »

Heres my '06 with its new 215x65-16 Grabber AT2.

Nevermind...pics arent attaching for some reason

Anyways, I really like these tires. Great in the dirt, not noisy on the highway (at least, by my standards). Mpg seems to be unaffected, and the speedo is as accurate as it ever was. Compared to the yokohamas that were on it, these are ever so slightly larger, but no rubbing.
Takaaco
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Takaaco »

debating on which tires to get...either the General Grabbers or the Yokohama Geolanders.

Geolanders

Grabbers

Where is the best price you guys have found so far for the Grabbers?
Best I have found was Tirerack.com for $109 ea. plus $75 shipping
"When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else." Mark Twain
SB587
Scoobytruck Lurker

28" clearance

Post by SB587 »

First off, thank you for letting me join. I've read a few threads, I'm happy with what I saw and I'm sure you guys will have great advise.

I bought a Baja a few days ago and I'm really loving it. Off course my first thought when buying one was bigger tires. My problem is I'm really picky about tires and of course my favorite tires are the more aggressive ones that only come in a few larger sizes.

So my question is will 235/75 r15s with 1" adapters and 1" lift clear the frame. I already know I'll have to modify the trim and wheel wells which isn't a big deal to me, my concern is the frame in the inside, back corner of the well. Since it is structural, I don't want to screw with it and ruin it's integrity. Will a 28" tire with 1 inch more offset have a problem here?

(and before anyone says it, I'm aware most 15 inch rims don't clear the calipers.)
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

I am running Mud TA KM2 235/70-16

To answer SB587's question; your going to need 4 inches of lift and some fender trimming to handle those tires, they are much closer to 29's than 28's. They are a fraction of an inch from what I am running and you would need the same mods. 4 inch lift, fender trim, 20mm spacers, and an extra half inch or inch in better springs isn't a bad addition. And before the wheel spacer bandwagon gets going, 20mm is a modest change that does wonders not just for clearance but for handling. After the lift the extra 40mm in track width was a dramatic improvement. Ferrari has used 25mm in OEM applications http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/drive ... tires.html What people often think of is the idiotic 75mm spacers with the wheel half out of the fender.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tireca ... -235-75r15
Attachments
tire.jpg
tire.jpg (29.1 KiB) Viewed 40199 times
WarpWar
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by WarpWar »

Ahzlon wrote:215/65R16's are actually a bit undersized for the Baja. Will off set your speedo at 65mph by about 3-4mph.
Are you sure it isn't the opposite?

The stock tires on mine were 225/60/16, and I bought a set of 215/65/16, a tire size calculator said that they are ~.3" narrower and ~.3" taller in size. The calc also said it would affect my speed by less than 1mph at 65. It would help to correct my speedometer, which is shown as being fast as compared to my gps.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tireca ... 65&rim2=16

I bought a set of Dunlop Winter sport 3d's to replace the old set of m3's I had (which they apparently don't make anymore).

I got them from tire rack a couple of days ago, I didn't have a chance to get them put on yet.
dfritz
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by dfritz »

I gave up trying to get "Ultra High Performance" All Seasons in the OEM size, and took the bait on 17's. ( my trucklet is not a substitute for a real truck, I have real trucks, it's more of a turbo AWD sports car).

So I got the Kumho Ecsta 4X, an ok set of wheels, and by the time I got credit for my very prematurely worn-out Pilot Sport AS/Plus, rebates and offers, sold off my old wheels, I was only in about $200 bucks deeper.

They are an ok tire, seem pretty quiet right now, do ok in mud and rain, and corner and stop well. And cheap. I'm sure they will wear out fast, but would rather wear out a cheap very good tire quickly than a expensive very good tire quickly, like I just did with the Michelins.

I'll stick with my 16" set of wheels with the Dunlop Wintersports for winter, hopefully they will still make them or Blizzacks in 16" when this set wears out. By the way, these tires don'e wear out hardly at all. The rubber just seems to get harder with the years. I kept set on that really was past due as per snow traction on thru the summer, and gave out trying to wear them out. Nicest , quietest, grippiest tires I've ever had.
tomato_88
Scoobytruck Master

Post by tomato_88 »

dfritz wrote:I gave up trying to get "Ultra High Performance" All Seasons in the OEM size, and took the bait on 17's. ( my trucklet is not a substitute for a real truck, I have real trucks, it's more of a turbo AWD sports car).

So I got the Kumho Ecsta 4X, an ok set of wheels, and by the time I got credit for my very prematurely worn-out Pilot Sport AS/Plus, rebates and offers, sold off my old wheels, I was only in about $200 bucks deeper.

They are an ok tire, seem pretty quiet right now, do ok in mud and rain, and corner and stop well. And cheap. I'm sure they will wear out fast, but would rather wear out a cheap very good tire quickly than a expensive very good tire quickly, like I just did with the Michelins.

I'll stick with my 16" set of wheels with the Dunlop Wintersports for winter, hopefully they will still make them or Blizzacks in 16" when this set wears out. By the way, these tires don'e wear out hardly at all. The rubber just seems to get harder with the years. I kept set on that really was past due as per snow traction on thru the summer, and gave out trying to wear them out. Nicest , quietest, grippiest tires I've ever had.
What size did you buys for your 17" rims?
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

Just put my grabbers on..... Really like the way they look.......
SnowOwl
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by SnowOwl »

Hey Mike, what size grabbers is that? My tire guy is literally arguing against me that it won't fit, but I don't think he realizes how tall my 06 Baja actually is as compared to a normal subaru
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

215 65 16 , stock 05 ride height with absolutely no rubbing
bajadutchie
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bajadutchie »

after reading a lot of things about the tires a decided to go for the sport look instead of the off road truck look.
Not enough off roading here to justify real off roaders and also they are expensive here.
I had a cheap set of 18 inch rims so bought the falken tyre in 225/ 50 / 18. i think is it is the ZE tyre
Heres a pic.tacho is a little below the acutal speed but close enough
MrCrowley206
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by MrCrowley206 »

So just from reading about lifts done to your bajas how much of the ride comfort was sacrificed from the lift? Just curious, its really the only hesitation I have about lifting mine.