Tires. We all need em - Heres the Thread for em .

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Tires. We all need em - Heres the Thread for em .

Post by YBajaSteve »

I merged all tire topics into this thread, here are some of the highlights. Please Feel Free to post ALL TIRE QUESTIONS/COMMENTS IN HERE!!! :D

Ive seen so many tire threads so I figured why not make a sticky and put all the good info in it.
Feel free to add more info.
canuck37 wrote:I replaced mine with Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds - amazing tires! They get lots of good reviews on the Subie forums and in my experience they were right! Snow, rain, mud --you name it. TireRack.com had the best prices. I'm sure there are others out there with alternate experiences, but for my $ these Goodyears are hard to beat. Good luck!
Emsanon wrote:I have the Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds as well. Looove those tires. Talk about some nice road grip! Great in the snow too! :D
Alpha Wolf wrote:We just replaced our stock Bridgestones with Big O Euro Tour 225/60R16/STD 98 V BLK

More street oriented than most use on their bajas.

Quiet tire.
Good grip Dry, no squealing.

I have not been able to test them in wet, dirt, mud or snow.
Buck Rogers wrote:
BooBoo wrote:What tires have you put on your ScoobyTruck?

My 2006 oem tires are Bridgestone Potenza's that are just about worn out (did all Bajas have Potenzas?), but I'll most likely replace them with something else. I'm looking for BEST wet traction and some driving in light snow conditions. Can anyone give me some specific recommendations?

Thanks!
If you like the truckish look and your Baja isn't an 03, you should have no problem running the General Grabbers AT2 in a 215/65 16. I say this because the Bajas got a minor body and spring lift in 04 and 05. I paid about $109.50 each mounted balanced and disposal fees and tax included. This was for the 215/70 16s.

Buck
speedymatt wrote:
Buck Rogers wrote: If you like the truckish look and your Baja isn't an 03, you should have no problem running the General Grabbers AT2 in a 215/65 16. I say this because the Bajas got a minor body and spring lift in 04 and 05. I paid about $109.50 each mounted balanced and disposal fees and tax included. This was for the 215/70 16s.

Buck
from all the threads i've read the 215/65's work just fine on all bajas 03-06. the problem with the 215/70's is it is almost 1.3" taller than a stock 225/60-16. in comparasion the 215/65's are only 0.4" over. it may seem small but inch is the difference between rubbing and not.
Snorkeled wrote:Here is my new BLIZZAK tires !! They handel REALLY GOOD on ICE and SNOW !!

specs- - - Bridgestone Blizzak WS60....... 225/60R16... 98R

P0604-WS60Z
holland_patrick wrote:no the grabbers come in 215/65/16

this is narrower then stock but the same rolling dia.. which means the speedo is dead on still
BorlaBaja wrote:Toyo Open Country H/T has a 215/65/16 tire. It's currently what I run on my Baja, it looks pretty agressive but it handles very well and you can do a fair amount of trail riding without any problems.
holland_patrick wrote:http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

keep in mind the size side wall is a funtion of the tread width of the dread x the side wall number so you would be having a smaller side wall number with a larger tread width.

so a 215/65/16 = 255/55/16 235/60/16 is close
bulwnkl wrote:
This is a good calculator to get you close, but you MUST NOT rely on it for an AWD (or 4WD) vehicle. There are rolling radius differences between different brands and even different models of the same brand of the exact same size tire. That's why Subaru tells you not to mix and match in the owners manuals.

The only way to know for sure is to either always use the same brand and size on all 4 corners, or else go to a place like Tirerack.com and look up the revolutions/mile number they have for most of the tires they sell. Only trouble then is if you're buying a tire they don't have data for...
QUOTE=Buck Rogers "Finally bought some new tires for the Baja after waiting more than a year since I lifted it. Even with a 2" lift, all I could stuff under it were 215/70 16s. Very minor rubbing in front when the outer edge of tire goes by the factory mud guards on turns. Love the ride and height though :D

Here's a few pics, check out the ruler

Image"

QUOTE=holland_patrick "after a long search these are the only truck tire that will fit on a stock baja with any issues. General Grabber AT2's 215/65/16 they are very aggressive and add to the look of the truck"
QUOTE=holland_patrick "I love them

Image"
ebank
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ebank »

The owners manual recommends snow tire sizes of P215/60R16 rather then P225/60R16.

From Page 8-15:

Your vehicle comes with P225/60R16 “all season
tiresâ€Â
Spacinjasman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Spacinjasman »

Thanks for the reply. Seems like I'm going to be limited as far as 'offroad' type tires go. Someone on USMB suggested a General Grabber AT that comes in a size 225 65 16. I believe that would be a little wider then stock. I might check those out.
Spacinjason
'06 Baja Turbo MT
'06 Silver Baja Turbo MT
MRE
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by MRE »

I had that same problem, I was sold on Goodyear Assurance (tm) tires, they are geared more towards rain and ice and they are suppurb for that, however they get pretty squirly (yet fun) in mud , but ive done some river crossings and hill climbs (see baja pics page 7 at the bottom) and I never slipped a tire... just swamped the engine oops
holland_patrick
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by holland_patrick »

no the grabbers come in 215/65/16

this is narrower then stock but the same rolling dia.. which means the speedo is dead on still
Newscutter
Scoobytruck Lurker

New Tire Recommendations?

Post by Newscutter »

So it looks like time to replace the Potenzas -- about 42K (I bought it at 30 something).

I searched the forum and didn't see any other topics about replacement tires (though there may be opinions splattered about in unrelated topics) so I thought I'd ask.

Info on Tirerack and Discount Tire seem to be all over the place... so I'm looking for more INFORMED recommendations from my fellow Scoobytruckers.

Thanks!

MCS

P.s. I just bought Michelin Hydroedge for my Chrysler 300M and love them so far, anyone have these on their Baja?
the slug
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by the slug »

Still researching tires myself. Don't have a good suggestion.

You might want to add what type of tire you are leaning towards. Some of us think of the Baja as an off road vehicle and would want more of an AT tire. Others are more for street performance.

Also consider the year of your Baja if you are looking for a larger tire. The 2003 Baja sits lower, can't go quite as big.
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

I switch my Potenzas to BF Goodrich Traction T/A's. These were great tires, but were wearing a bit too fast. Now I got the Goodyear assurance Tripletreads and love. Great tire, great handling and they don't wear so fast. Good luck.
-EB
Newscutter
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Newscutter »

Right -- it is a 2003, forgot about the lift on the newer years- good point.

Mostly we use the Baja for commuting and running around town. It is also our main camping mule and our snowmobile. I would lean toward better mileage/handling but can't get anything that won't handle some light gravel/dirt/grass and snow.

I don't want to be buying tires very often either. :wink:

MCS
medtec
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by medtec »

Newscutter,
I have researched Tirerack and found Dunlop SP60 not only fits and has good traction (going by thier reviews) but also is several pounds lighter.

Hope this helps, lol...medtec
promace1
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by promace1 »

I went with the general grabbers AT2 I believe. head over to nasioc.com under the baja section. The tires are considered OEM replacement but they are a tad taller and as meaty as BFG AT, AWESOME TRED!
bajabeauty

Post by bajabeauty »

I had 25,000 now on my '06 to many flats on all the tires, so changed them out to Kumho's...funny name...

Anyway the tires are about a 1/2 wider than the potenzas...but still the same rating as the current. Instead of 33 PSI its 44, but did mine up to 35 this time around, comfy not bumpy. It cost me $450, for the 4 at Discount Tire Co.
Even though not reccomended I'm getting a fifth and placing exactly were the donut is, it'll be here next week and I sure hope it fits. I took out the stock exaust so I have a little more play room for it.
medtec
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by medtec »

I've read that a full size tire and rim will fit in the stock position under the bed without mods to the exaust, but it will hang down about 4 inches, that is with the stock size of 225/60/16...I've thought about it too, if you do try it keep us informed...lol
Caaron
Scoobytruck Contributer

Tires--can you recommend replacement tires?

Post by Caaron »

Time for new tires on my Baja. Anyone replace their original tires with some they liked better? I'm interested in hearing opinions about tire brands before I buy new ones.

Chuck
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Tires--can you recommend replacement tires?

Post by canuck37 »

I replaced mine with Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds - amazing tires! They get lots of good reviews on the Subie forums and in my experience they were right! Snow, rain, mud --you name it. TireRack.com had the best prices. I'm sure there are others out there with alternate experiences, but for my $ these Goodyears are hard to beat. Good luck!