Loss of Power based on fuel used

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

RickBaja06
Scoobytruck Contributer

Loss of Power based on fuel used

Post by RickBaja06 »

I have a stock 2006 Baja Turbo. I have noticed that since the gas prices have hit a record high my car has been running poorly. Using Mobil gas my car feels like I am towing a trailer, using Cumberland Farms gas it feels and acts like a WRX.

I was wondering if anyone else has started to see this issue with there Bajas.

I have checked the car, and I have no issues with fuel pressure, filters or ignition timing. I have an on board monitor and get actual readings from the OBD2 as I drive. The fuel is the only variable.

I am starting to wonder if fuel is being water downed or ethonal is being added past 10%.

Thanks
Rick
spazchicken
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Loss of Power based on fuel used

Post by spazchicken »

Upped ethanol content would make it behave more like running Sunoco 100. I ran a 1/3 tank of e85 a few times in teh WRX and it ran great, but purportedly you go through it quicker than petrol as the efficiency is worse.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Loss of Power based on fuel used

Post by bulwnkl »

Rick, we only have gasohol (10%) at Stinker Stations and at least some Sinclair stations around here. Everything else is 100% gasoline from the refinery in Salt Lake City. I normally run the gasohol because I can run their 88 octane regular just fine. The pure gasoline here is 85 octane, 87, and 91. Gasohol is 88, 90, and 92 or 93 depending upon which station.

Anyway, I've been trying to track a mpg or performance (as measured by boot levels and ignition advance/retard) difference between things, and I can't tell a difference greater than normal tank-to-tank variation. I'll keep collecting info, and if I find any differences I'll post back (especially on 88 vs. 91/92/93 in my turbo).