Oil Use

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

jp524
Scoobytruck Lurker

Oil Use

Post by jp524 »

I am having issues with my 2003 Baja sport using oil. The first time it happened was about a year ago my oil light came on and when I checked it it was almost 3 qts low had the dealer check into it they did a oil change and kept an eye on it it did not loose any. Since then I have had my oil changed at the dealer every 3000 to 3500 miles and every thing is been ok. Last week I checked the oil level at about 2500 miles and it was almost 1 qt low. My question is has any one experianced this issue and if so is it normal.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Oil Use

Post by bulwnkl »

Based on the limited information, I'd say your engine is still using a bunch of oil, but it just doesn't get low enough to starve the engine (oil light) by the time you have the dealer change it.

I have light to moderate consumption in my Baja turbo, but ONLY when commuting all the time. Highway/freeway miles won't consume a drop. I'm sorry to hear yours is using a little oil, but a quart in more than 2,500 miles won't make Subaru replace the engine, and it really isn't that big a deal. Sorry.
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Oil Use

Post by cyphergirl »

My '03 has recently started eating oil but we haven't been too worried about it yet. At the last spark plug change, we noticed an oil seepage around the o-rings there for one of the plugs; the o-rings will probably get replaced at the 105,000 service (coming up Real Soon Now (tm)) when we do the timing belt.