AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN

Moderator: mikenmel08

jogobaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by jogobaja »

Just got 05 Baja Sport with 88K on it (in addition to my 2013 Outback Limited). Car radio doesn't work - from what I am reading, all 4 speakers are most likely out (one or 2 work at certain outdoor temp only) - just ordered 4 of them on Crutchfield. Any hints on replacing them? Do I have to pull door panels out? I would appreciate some D.I.Y. input. Thanks.
huck369
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: New Member

Post by huck369 »

jogobaja wrote:Just got 05 Baja Sport with 88K on it (in addition to my 2013 Outback Limited). Car radio doesn't work - from what I am reading, all 4 speakers are most likely out (one or 2 work at certain outdoor temp only) - just ordered 4 of them on Crutchfield. Any hints on replacing them? Do I have to pull door panels out? I would appreciate some D.I.Y. input. Thanks.

Welcome... :)
If you ordered from Crutchfield, the speakers will come with really good instructions on installing them into your BAJA, I haven't delt with them in my BAJA yet (but will have to soon) but most often, yes, the door panels will have to be removed.

Where in the Southeast are you located?
Huck
2009 Forester X Premium
2008 Impreza Sedan 5-Speed
2003 Forester XS 5-Speed
1992 SVX LS-Tour 5-Speed RWD
1992 SVX LS-Tour PPG Pace Car Replica
1989 XT-6 AWD
Takaaco
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Takaaco »

welcome from KY
"When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else." Mark Twain
jogobaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by jogobaja »

huck369 wrote:
jogobaja wrote:Just got 05 Baja Sport with 88K on it (in addition to my 2013 Outback Limited). Car radio doesn't work - from what I am reading, all 4 speakers are most likely out (one or 2 work at certain outdoor temp only) - just ordered 4 of them on Crutchfield. Any hints on replacing them? Do I have to pull door panels out? I would appreciate some D.I.Y. input. Thanks.

Welcome... :)
If you ordered from Crutchfield, the speakers will come with really good instructions on installing them into your BAJA, I haven't delt with them in my BAJA yet (but will have to soon) but most often, yes, the door panels will have to be removed.

Where in the Southeast are you located?
Pensacola
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

Nice! What did you get? I installed Polk DXI650's on all 4 doors. The panels are pretty easy to remove. They each have one screw under the little cover. The left front is the hardest. you have to pop the instrument cluster off to access another screw. Delicately, the ring around the door handle must be removed. if you have stock tweeters, pop the cover off. When pulling the panel off, all the wires from lights/harnesses can be unclipped. Its definitely easier with a friend. Walla! door panels off.

When doing my conversion it was actually more beneficial and easier to use the existing speaker spacers and modify them than to modify the metal to fit the provided ones. I also had to modify the audio plug.

Good luck man! its not too hard for a first project if you haven't worked with your Baja before...
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

Welcome aboard from NC, As stated it is not very difficult to change the speakers out...One of the first mods i did was to put in a kenwood 7" indash and all MB Quarts speakers