If there was one thing that you could change...

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

bnther36
Scoobytruck Contributer

If there was one thing that you could change...

Post by bnther36 »

If there was one thing that I could change it would definitely be to add a 6th gear. The speed limit here is 70mph and if I'm driving 5 or so over, the boxer is running close to 4000 rpm. That's too hard!

I can't help but think that the MPG for pretty much all of the Soob's with the 2.5 would get close to 30mpg with an addtional gear. Get those rpm's down to somewhere around 2800-3200 @ 75mph.

My 2 cents.
Yago20
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Yago20 »

I'll agree with that. I'm not complaining about my gas milage now, but just thinking about what an extra gear would do makes me think I need a project...
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Re: If there was one thing that you could change...

Post by Zooom »

bnther36 wrote:If there was one thing that I could change it would definitely be to add a 6th gear. The speed limit here is 70mph and if I'm driving 5 or so over, the boxer is running close to 4000 rpm. That's too hard!

I can't help but think that the MPG for pretty much all of the Soob's with the 2.5 would get close to 30mpg with an addtional gear. Get those rpm's down to somewhere around 2800-3200 @ 75mph.

My 2 cents.
I was in the same boat...but I think the answer would be to have a true overdrive gear that drops the revs quite a bit...on my old VW I could get both of the gears for a deisel 5th into my close ratio gearbox which when I shifted into 5th it would drop the rpm's about 1800 and make for some nice highway cruising...aside from that...the only other thing I would change that I can find thus far is to have a Fast Forward function on the stock 6 disk in dash changer radio on my 05 Turbo Baja!
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Re: If there was one thing that you could change...

Post by bulwnkl »

Zooom wrote:...the only other thing I would change that I can find thus far is to have a Fast Forward function on the stock 6 disk in dash changer radio on my 05 Turbo Baja!
When I hold the track forward/back buttons on the stock 6-disc changer in my '05 Baja Turbo, it fast-forwards/reverses.

HTH!
Ayrton Senna
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Ayrton Senna »

This might not exactly pertain to the topic, but I just wish the Baja were still around and got an update like all the other Subaru vehicles did! :(
bnther36
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bnther36 »

The Baja didn't really seem to have the same amount of success that the Brat did. I've given it a lot of thought and I can't help but think that the Baja might still be around right now if the designers had stuck a little closer to the original Soob truck.

When you look at a Baja from behind, it really looks sporty, but when you look at it from the side it's kind of like WTF? I think the designers did a really great job on the box, especially with the roll bar and all, but why on earth did they attach it to a 4 door. The vehicle sits too low and looks too long; aesthetically speaking. I would have prefered it on something like the Impreza chasis. And since I'm dreaming, given me the little truck with a 1" lift and in the STI package!!

At any rate, I fear it may be awhile before Soob tries to build another truck. This is actually quite dissapionting because they build such a capable AWD system. And with gas prices always on the rise, I think a small AWD truck could definitely find a place in the urban market. I would have much rather seen another truck as opposed to the hatchback.
Buck Rogers
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Buck Rogers »

Well, were to begin?

First, a dual range tranny would have been nice, as well as a shorter A$$ end. Personally I like the 4 doors, and it was one of the reasons I purchased it. Secondly it should have had more room in the wheel wells for larger tires, and 3rd, it would have been nice to have a 6th gear in it for highway cruising.

Just my two cents
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Buck Rogers wrote:Well, were to begin?

First, a dual range tranny would have been nice, as well as a shorter A$$ end. Personally I like the 4 doors, and it was one of the reasons I purchased it. Secondly it should have had more room in the wheel wells for larger tires, and 3rd, it would have been nice to have a 6th gear in it for highway cruising.

Just my two cents
A dual range 6 speed! they already have a dual range tranny but its a 5 speed (STX had it. its a weak tranny) and they already have a 6 speed. You know how expensive that would be to make a new transmission for one model only offered in North America!

Maybe they should have changed final drive or spread the 5th gear ratio alittle taller. I like the 4 doors too. When you realize the design constraints of making it off of an existing outback platform, They did a pretty decent job I think. Anything more would have made it too expensive to even build.
bnther36
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bnther36 »

Would that 6-speed fit on a Baja or is that only for the STI? What kind of difference would it make?

Personally, I don't care if it's a 5 or a 6-speed as long as Soob got the highway rpm's down. I've had people tell me the boxer can run 4000 all day and I know that the engine is finding its' way into experimental aircraft...so I believe that it's a good motor. But it sure sounds like I'm winding it out when I've got the cruise set at 75mph.
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

The 6 speed will fit. It bolts right up to the engine. 6speeds are available in several different versions with different gear ratios. In the US the 6 speed is fitted to the STI and the Legacy in the Spec B.It is physically bigger, and weighs more. The driveshafts would most likely have ot be replaced as well. you may be better off swapping out to a 3.90 in the front and rear diffs. That will bring the revs down for sure.
Ayrton Senna
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Ayrton Senna »

bnther36 wrote:The Baja didn't really seem to have the same amount of success that the Brat did. I've given it a lot of thought and I can't help but think that the Baja might still be around right now if the designers had stuck a little closer to the original Soob truck.

When you look at a Baja from behind, it really looks sporty, but when you look at it from the side it's kind of like WTF? I think the designers did a really great job on the box, especially with the roll bar and all, but why on earth did they attach it to a 4 door. The vehicle sits too low and looks too long; aesthetically speaking. I would have prefered it on something like the Impreza chasis. And since I'm dreaming, given me the little truck with a 1" lift and in the STI package!!

At any rate, I fear it may be awhile before Soob tries to build another truck. This is actually quite dissapionting because they build such a capable AWD system. And with gas prices always on the rise, I think a small AWD truck could definitely find a place in the urban market. I would have much rather seen another truck as opposed to the hatchback.
Do you really think it is feasible for Subaru to make another pickup? I just hope it happens again really soon.

They are like the only ones in that market and would basically own that market. I just think having a stranglehold of that market isn't such a bad thing. Please Subaru, make another pickup!
bnther36
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bnther36 »

[quote="Ayrton Senna"]
Do you really think it is feasible for Subaru to make another pickup? I just hope it happens again really soon.

They are like the only ones in that market and would basically own that market. I just think having a stranglehold of that market isn't such a bad thing. Please Subaru, make another pickup![/quote]

I would argue what made the Brat sell as many as it did? If you could figure that out, then you might have an arguement for building another truck. I know for me, it would be the perfect vehicle. I don't need and really don't want a full-size or mid-size. For my situation, it just doesn't make sense.

What I ought to do is start combing the salvage yards and put a Baja bed on the back of a Impreza. Now that would be something!
Buck Rogers
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Buck Rogers »

Hawk296 wrote:

A dual range 6 speed! they already have a dual range tranny but its a 5 speed (STX had it. its a weak tranny) and they already have a 6 speed. You know how expensive that would be to make a new transmission for one model only offered in North America!

I was just stating MY wish list, and if they already have a dual range tranny it should have been put in the Baja.

Don't get me wrong, I like my Baja and I plan on keeping it a while, but if you're going to make a light truck, then do it right (dual range tranny, plenty of wheel well room, maybe even a slightly longer wheel base or a shorter rear overhang to allow for some serious off roading) A person can dream can't they? If people like it they will pay the extra for it.

I will give Subaru credit for making a unique vehicle. I like driving something that not everyone else has :D
Ayrton Senna
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Ayrton Senna »

bnther36 wrote: I would argue what made the Brat sell as many as it did? If you could figure that out, then you might have an arguement for building another truck. I know for me, it would be the perfect vehicle. I don't need and really don't want a full-size or mid-size. For my situation, it just doesn't make sense.

What I ought to do is start combing the salvage yards and put a Baja bed on the back of a Impreza. Now that would be something!
I would love to see one like that. I've always enjoyed the BRAT, Golf Pickup and Mini pickup. I heard Mini might be making another one, but I guess we have to wait and see.
Bill Bourne
Scoobytruck Contributer

Lighting

Post by Bill Bourne »

Well there were two things!!

DRL's: Didn't want them. Disconnected them.
If everyone has them no one will stand out, so you may as well not bother.
I do believe they are good for school buses, emergency vehicles, and motorcycles, but if everyone has them these guys get lost in the crowd.

Fog lights: Wanted to be able to use them by themselves, not in conjunction with headlights. I think when you really need them they should be as close to the ground as possible. You don't need the headlights reflecting back in your eyes.

Fixed that problem also. Might not be the most elegant alteration but it works. OEM method still works normally, but if I activate my add on switch they will come on as long as the parking lights are on.
2005 Sport, Atlantic Blue Pearl, A/T