Is Baja classified as a car or a truck?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Is Baja classified as a car or a truck?

Post by davecoon13 »

The Parking garage at my office was having structural issues and said that CARS ONLY, Trucks, Vans, and SUVs Prohibited. So, I remembered reading that the EPA classified the Baja as a Car and the NHSTA as a truck (maybe I have this backwards), so I got a warning notice on my windshield that TRUCKS, VANS, SUVs were prohibited in the garage....is the Baja a CAR or not? How is it different from an Outback Legacy Wagon?
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Convince them its a car. My registration says "subaru pickup" but its a registered as a car. I think EPA or one of them says its a truck. At the carwash I always have to convince them its a car so I don't have to pay the extra dollar that trucks and SUVs do.
Alpha Wolf
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Alpha Wolf »

It is the same vehicle as the outback wagon car

They just remove the roof portion of the back end.

The bed makes them want to classify it as a truck. But it will not carry a trucks load which is the main issue along with overall size.
Turbo
baja03
Scoobytruck Master

Post by baja03 »

To the gov. it is considered a truck people have different opinions about wether it is a car are a truck me personally i believe its neither its not a car because it sits to high off the ground but its not a truck because it can not be used for major towing and its not a ladder frame like a truck is.
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Bastard dealership here in PA registered it as a Truck, so my plate says that AND I pay more for renewal (like $10 or $20 more but still po-leeeze).

I THINK I've seen others in the state registered as cars, so maybe I should force the dealership to go re-register it.

I probably won't bother though.

But at the end of the day, it's the size, weight etc of a car.

Kev
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I got blasted with the truck charge here in Wisconsin. Since it has a bed, no matter how small it is, they screw you and call it a truck. So now I pay more than what cars do. If I remember correctly, it says Private Carrier on the title and registration. :cry: Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Calif. perspective

Post by canuck37 »

In California, if it has a cover like a canopy that is not removable, it is a car. Open bed, with or without seats, or a removable cover = truck. No discussion/negotiation with CHP or DMV. Gotta have truck plates....
mdavis113
Scoobytruck Lurker

I Tell My Kids it's a...

Post by mdavis113 »

If Porsche can call a roadster with a boxer engine in it a Boxster. Then, I feel obligated to refer to mine as a Boxtrucar. :lol: