Subaru Baja - Two Dirtbike Hauler

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

SPPIII
Scoobytruck Contributer

Subaru Baja - Two Dirtbike Hauler

Post by SPPIII »

I have been hunting and hunting for a solution to carry two motocross bikes in the back of the Baja.

If you have them both in parallel to the car, you will need a bed extender to stick almost 1.5 feet past the tail gate. Since that amount of weight behind the rear tires will be bad for distribution of weight and off-road characteristics. So, thank goodness for Google. I am working on a design, ATV style, bikes will be put on ramps, weight shifted forward by more than 3 feet, and looks pretty darn cool. Below is a picture of a company, that has attempted in the past, but it was a one time thing.

[img]http://scoobytruck.com/ul/1165350241949 ... height="25%"[/img]

Would anyone be interested in this type of product?

I have bought most of the supplies and started some of the work, but this is a weekend project until my finals are done. I will post pictures as the project progresses.
Last edited by SPPIII on Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Wouldn't it be easier to load them parallel to the bed, sticking out on an extender 1.5 feet, BUT BACK THEM IN so most of the weight is on the rear tire????

Just a thought.

I AM looking for a way to move motorcycles in my bed, but one at a time, an I'm talking about 500-600 lbs. street bikes with wheelbases of about 60 inches.

Kev
SPPIII
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by SPPIII »

Most of the weight on MX bike is dead center, my KX has it a bit farther back.

I think in your case, put the trailer hitch on. Then through JCWhitney or google search: there is a front wheel cradel that plus into the hitch... the back wheel sits on the street while the front sits in the cradel.
http://motorcycletrailer.com/s-cart/enl ... ctID=RHMC1
Only downside is the wear on the rear tire. Since your not off roading, this would be a safe route instead of buying a trailer.
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

SPPIII wrote:Most of the weight on MX bike is dead center, my KX has it a bit farther back.

I think in your case, put the trailer hitch on. Then through JCWhitney or google search: there is a front wheel cradel that plus into the hitch... the back wheel sits on the street while the front sits in the cradel.
http://motorcycletrailer.com/s-cart/enl ... ctID=RHMC1
Only downside is the wear on the rear tire. Since your not off roading, this would be a safe route instead of buying a trailer.
I've seen those cradles, no thanks.

I've got a utility trailer that I can use if need be.

I don't need to move a bike often, I just like the thought of having an emergency pick-up vehicle, if the need arrises.

And next year if the wife has an odd rotation, like out in NM or something, it would be nice to drive across country with one vehicle, but with one of the bike's in the bed too. Pulling a trailer that far would suck.
SPPIII
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by SPPIII »

I have finally assembled the ramps. Take a look!

And... 400 watts of daylight added too!

Will be working on how to adapt the ramps to the car when my course homework is comeplete.
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

Nice! Keep us posted.
SPPIII
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by SPPIII »

:) I am finally getting more done! What a pain trying to find long enough screws to mount the tie down bar to the rear mounting points. I will be cutting the distance down so less flex in that bar!

I cant wait to get photos of the bikes actually on the ramps.

Should have the basic done this weekend. I have a few more tweeks like a front tire stop I have to build that will go up top.

Stay Tuned! Anyone have a Scropian Lift kit they dont want?
SPPIII
Scoobytruck Contributer

Practically Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by SPPIII »

A practically finished product.
I will be putting these to the test in the next few weeks.
ImageImage

:lol:
peiboy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by peiboy »

Dude

I love that bumper - I hated them at first, but after bumping through some snow this winter, I have started to really like them. What did you end up doing with the fog lights? is there room in the bumper for them?

Jonathan
SPPIII
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by SPPIII »

I am waiting to put some Low Profile Hella Lights up in the front. Thinking fog or more "sunlight" lights. Im trying to find a company that could make me a rear bumper that would match the front.

the front bumper will be coming off soon for a paint job as I and the previous own scratched it up pretty good.
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

How much do these ramps cost? Where could I get them? My wife recently bought a Kymco People 150 Scooter (dealer delivered for free), and I am wondering if this ramp system would work with one of these ramps for the Kymco scooter? Is it possible to order only one ramp? I wonder if her scooter would even fit in the Baja without one of the ramps? I think it has a 53" Wheelbase, but if I put the Scooter diagonally in the bed, I think it might fit. Any ideas? I was going to check it out today. The scooter is not yet registered or inspected, so I need to transport with another vehicle until I make it street legal.

I remember a dispute on the NASIOC Baja forum about the bed weight capaciy. Apparently, there is one figure listed inside the driver's door post, another figure listed in the owner's manual, and stillanother figure listed at cars101. Could the Baja safely hold a 250 pound scooter? How much weight can actually rest on the open tailgate? Again, each source lists a different figure.
SPPIII
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by SPPIII »

davecoon13 wrote:How much do these ramps cost? Where could I get them?
I actually built these myself. Based on a design by AMP Research. It wasn't cheap! I bought supplies, made mistakes and made design changes as the project progressed. I figure I could make the ramps for some one else for about $800-$1000. Do a single ramp for about $600-$800. There was alot of labor involved including welding. I'm still working on a tire stop for the front so when I brake/breakHard... the bikes dont slide forward.

Anyone who is interested, feel free to pm me for my email.
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

SPPIII wrote: I figure I could make the ramps for some one else for about $800-$1000. Do a single ramp for about $600-$800.
No thanks, to steep for my blood. Either I will try a standard $50 loading ramp from HarborFreight or a $200 Harborfreight Utility Trailer.

After all, I bought the Trailer Hitch option when I got the Baja, and have never used the hitch. I may as well put the hitch to use...
SPPIII
Scoobytruck Contributer

My Toy on my ramps

Post by SPPIII »

Picture is low quality, but worked great. Will attempt two bikes this weekend on the ramps. There was almost no suspension drop with the bike all tied up! I was worried that the suspension would fall.

Only down fall is I have to take turns slow when the bikes are attached!

:lol:

SPPIII
Scoobytruck Contributer

UPDATED - Two Bikes on the Baja

Post by SPPIII »

Check this out.

I was able and finally remember to take a picture of both bikes on my baja. TTR225 and KX250.