More playing off road

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

More playing off road

Post by yellowblaze »

Finally had some time to hit run the trails in Allegany. Unfortunately some had been badly messed up by larger 4x4's and the ruts were so deep we would have high centered. We did find a few passable (more repairs will be needed for the front bumper :roll: ) and will be headed back south to a few other parks with "truck trails"-these sound interesting.

some pics:

Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

You're my HERO man :wink:

Seriously, I've been driving Jeeps (or a fake one, Geo Tracker) since 94 and I had each of my rides (3 of em) off road maybe once or twice, more to just see what they can do.

I never really seek out opportunities and have no plans to do so with the Baja, but it's kinda fun knowing I could (if the trails are mild enough).

I'd have to add some skid plates for for piece of mind, and get over the whole "it's new, don't sratch it thing" (but moving some stuff in the bed soon will probably help with the later part and I'm looking for a skid plate or to fabricate one, as soon as I recover from the purchase).

Kev
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Nice pics, Blaze. Good to see that you made it back out on the trail. Fall colors very nice out there. Bet you can't wait for the snow, though. Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

mbaksic wrote:Nice pics, Blaze. Good to see that you made it back out on the trail. Fall colors very nice out there. Bet you can't wait for the snow, though. Mike
Thanks! It's been too long!

Unfortunatly didn't have to wait for the snow-got about 6" last night. The wet, heavy stuff that breaks trees. It is a real mess out there-we were hoping to hit the trails today :( Broke a 137 years of recorded history for snowfall in October.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Unfortunatly didn't have to wait for the snow-got about 6" last night. The wet, heavy stuff that breaks trees. It is a real mess out there-we were hoping to hit the trails today :( Broke a 137 years of recorded history for snowfall in October.[/quote]

I heard about it on the news, sorry, but you can keep this early snow stuff. I'll take mine about Christmas time. Mike
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

mbaksic wrote:Unfortunatly didn't have to wait for the snow-got about 6" last night. The wet, heavy stuff that breaks trees. It is a real mess out there-we were hoping to hit the trails today :( Broke a 137 years of recorded history for snowfall in October.
I heard about it on the news, sorry, but you can keep this early snow stuff. I'll take mine about Christmas time. Mike[/quote]

Gee thanks-I'd prefer that too! Ours is melted and we got power back. The destruction is phenominal. We got lucky-just a tree trying to pull down part of our fence and another one we need taken down that is threatening to drop broken branches onto our driveway (both neighbor's trees). I'll have to resize and upload some pics....We did end up hitting those trails anyway-since we had no power we dodged the downed trees and lines and made it down to the southtowns (no snow hit there, it was sunny and no damage).
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

Some pics:

The bad tree over our driveway:

Closer lok at hanging limbs (The whole thing was leaning worse before the above pic-It was really stressed and needs to go completely):

Neighbor's tree on fence (the one he was trying to cut up with a hacksaw):

Saturday:

Some Baja pics from Friday & Saturday:

Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Wow, lot of destruction for such a freak-early storm.

Wonder if that is a portent of things to come?

Great pics BTW!

Kev
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

That must have been a pretty bad storm!

Nice pictures, Yellowblaze, especially the ones of the creek crossing. Ho do you go about finding these trails? I would like to take the Baja on the trail, but have no clue where there are any around Albany, NY or how to find out about them. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
EB
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

It was weird-started snowing mid-day Thurs, but it was melting. Then that night it stopped melting!!

You can try these guys, they can probably help you find some: http://www.northcountryoffroaders.net/

I usually ask around, and cannot resist driving down seasonal use highways (we were looking for a generator on sat and took a detour to see where one went, lol). A lot of seasonal use highways/minumim maint. roads are a good place to start-many of my pics started off on one.
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

Glad you came thru the storm ok!! I was hoping for a bit of snow down here but we got NOTHING- oh well I'm sure it is a coming! Cool pix- I love Limited use roads- they often have some very interesting Off shoots- I was gonna go back down to Cattaragus Creek on THursday- but my Dry creek bed was full with water- But this latest rain should make for some more interesting travels- Just gotta remember to take my camera!
I always wanted a BRAT, I had a Baja (sold) Now I have an Outback
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Wowee, what a storm. Hard to believe it was all gone so fast, but the after effects still linger. Nice pics offroad again. We don't have much of that stuff in SE Wisconsin, so I have to go up north to do anything like that. And its fun to do, as long as I don't bury the Baja in a hole somewhere!! Mike
Snorkeled
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Snorkeled »

Love the trail pics !!! I want to go out and find some trails now, or do some kind of off road adventure.