Possible Ram Air idea for baja sport

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

nacho
Scoobytruck Contributer

Possible Ram Air idea for baja sport

Post by nacho »

Hello All,
I purchased a baja sport about a month ago and already planning to give the engine somemore ponies (air intake with Exhaust). I was thinking about a home made Ram Air kit for a Baja. Just wondering if anybody has tried it. I was thinking about buying a baja turbo hood and somehow modding the airbox to point towards the inlet of the hood scoup(My Idea for a Ram Air). I was looking at pictures of turbo versions and see that the Intercooler is mounted right where the air filter box is located on the N/A versions. Just wondering if this was a good idea. The only problem I came up with was that this would be a good way to get water into the engine during rainy days but if carefully planned could be made to let air in and keep water out. Also, I have not taken a close look at the rest of the original air box for wiring or sensors. Just wanted to float this idea around to see if it is worth really looking into it. By the way, This is my first Subaru baja or Subaru for that matter. So far have been impressed with this ride. Looking forward to having some fun.
blubaja03
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by blubaja03 »

Glad you are enjoying your Baja so far:) The Ram Air idea sounds cool. If you can figure out a way to make it water tight but let air in, let me know. Heh. Someone on here-or Nasioc- has a nice short cold air intake. I have one also..dosen't do much for preformance. I would like a nice soundin exhaust too. Keep us updated:)
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

Ditto on keeping us updated, we've been contemplating the same thing (ram air)....
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Sounds like the old gravelsport intake for the RS...
nacho
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by nacho »

I will keep everyone updated with more information as soon as I have a chance. I like the gravelsport intake though. Still getting ideas.
nacho
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by nacho »

While looking around. I found a kit that looked pretty cool. It is the Blitz Induction Cover. I have a good idea of how I am going to try the Ram Air idea. As soon as I get a chance to pass by the dealership. I will ask around to see if the turbo hood fits on the non-turbo edition. If anybody has asked this question please let me know. I hope to ask the mechanics when I go in for my oil change. So far I am planning to add the turbo hood and a K&N Air Filter. If the hood fits on a non-turbo, then I will use the pictures of the Biltz idea and try to buy the back part of the air filter box to attempt what the Blitz Induction Cover is doing. I am looking doing some metal fabrication for the mod on the back of the air filter box. Still, I am deciding on how to keep the water out of the intake. I will keep everyone posted on what I am doing. Planning is fun but attempting it will be better. I hope to have this working in about a year. Since I only have 2,600 miles on it. I am waiting to hit about 10,000 miles before I attempt anything. It is always good to do lots of research before attempting imo. I will keep everyone updated as soon as I get more info.
nacho
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by nacho »

Well I finally went this weekend to get my first oil change. The cool thing about the first oil change, it was free. Cool. I asked a salesman about looking at a turbo baja but all they had was one non-turbo model. I looked at a legacy turbo instead. If the legacy and the baja are almost alike. The baja turbo hood will more than likely fit on the non-turbo version. I did notice that the turbos on the legacy have a gasket around the intercooler. I think this is to seal the intake scoop to the intercooler. I asked about the price of a turbo hood among other things. The turbo hood will cost me about $300-$400. I would also need to get it painted. As always, I will keep updating everyone on how it is going. I really want to try this idea out. If it works, it will be cool. If it fails, I will at least have the look of a turbo minus the functionality of the scoop.
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Just for conversation, what do you think the "ram air" induction is going to do for actual performance on a non-turbo?

Unless you're chasing dyno output numbers, I never was one for believing it makes a measurable difference.

Sure you'll get a little colder air, so a little more dense, but that's about it.

Even turbos, who make power by SERIOUSLY force-feeding the intake with air, gain more benefit when it is intercooled, as opposed to just drawn through a scoop.

My guess is that it is a LOT of effort, for not a lot of benefit.

Thoughts?

Kev
nacho
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by nacho »

Thank Kev for your response
The “Ram Airâ€
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Nacho,

First off, I like your goals, as they are very similar to mine.

I think your previous experience with a cold air kit should be part of the hint here. I would be VERY suprised if you see 10 hp from ram air and opening the intake.

Well, let me restate that. I think that opening the intake might lead to AS MUCH as a 5% improvement generally. That's MAYBE 8 hp or so.

I doubt if drawing air from over hood as opposed to underhood is going to make that big a difference.

Sure when sitting still the air under hood gets pretty hot, but as soon as it starts to flow, you get cooler air.

Even the stock air intake on the Baja is drawing from the front of the engine compartment, just behind the grille.

I don't have a compatable scan tool right now, but I'd be curious to read intake air temps sitting at idle and running down the road on a stock configuration in relation to ambient air temps to help see if there would possibly be enough of a difference to produce your desired affect.

Regardless, keep me posted, as I am interested to know what the result is past this speculation.

Kev
nacho
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by nacho »

I hear you about the actual real world horse power I would be getting. I was thinking exactly about 8 HP off a cold air intake. The ram air I am hoping would give me the extra 2HP (hope but I doubt it). It would be interesting to see how hot the air is in the engine compartment when at rest to running at various speeds though. While looking around I was thinking why not instead go with an STI hood scoop and having a body shop fit it into the non turbo baja hood. What does everybody think about this? Baja STI. That might look cool.
spazchicken
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazchicken »

nacho wrote:While looking around I was thinking why not instead go with an STI hood scoop and having a body shop fit it into the non turbo baja hood. What does everybody think about this? Baja STI. That might look cool.
It would probably be cheaper than buying and painting a new turbo hood. I kinda have objections to non-turbos having hoodscoops, but that's all a personal choice, I suppose.
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

spazchicken wrote:
nacho wrote:While looking around I was thinking why not instead go with an STI hood scoop and having a body shop fit it into the non turbo baja hood. What does everybody think about this? Baja STI. That might look cool.
It would probably be cheaper than buying and painting a new turbo hood. I kinda have objections to non-turbos having hoodscoops, but that's all a personal choice, I suppose.
Me too, it's kinda poserific, but whatever floats your boat.

Before you spend all that money, find someone with a scan tool willing to give you some readings from the intake air temp sensor, that might tell you all you need to know.

Kev
nacho
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by nacho »

Well, I guess that I would have to decide if I am looking for the look or looking for HP. Then I would have to decided is it worth the expense. On the hood scoop principle. I think that I might be leading people on if others think that it is turbo charged when not. This is the reason why I would want to have the turbo hood or hood scoop functional. At least to show that I am not just going for the look.
nacho
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by nacho »

Well, went to the dealership and was looking for prices on parts. Found a cold air intake for a WRX and asked if it would fit the baja. They had one around and after negotiating a deal. Went home with a SPT intake installed. So this means that the ram air idea will be put on hold until later......
By the way. here are some pictures of the intake on the baja. The intake gives a nice growl when you step on it. This makes me want to get a muffler soon.