I found a place that sells caps for the Baja!

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

chicken n waffles
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by chicken n waffles »

looks good, i guess, eric. if that does it for ya, then congrats.

was it worth the hassle? honest question.
-Ben
'05 Baja Turbo M/T
Atlantic Blue
Eric
Scoobytruck Lurker

Honest answer

Post by Eric »

It was a test of patience. However, I needed the cap to haul my kayaks - if I put both the single and the double kayaks on the roof, there's about $7,500 worth of fiberglass up there. The OEM rack is OK if you want to haul a single whitewater boat like on the Subie promotional material; or pose at the local Dairy Freeze, but if you want to haul expensive gear over logging roads that could last 50 miles, then you need something a little more sturdy (my kayak trips could better be descriped as kayak expeditions). My last vehicles were Toyota Tacomas, with caps and racks, so I knew exactly what I wanted and what was required, it was this knowledge that kept me dogging the cap dealers - otherwise I would be making do with the half-ass job provided by the first installers. The other thing... I had already bought the Baja and didn't want to trade it in - I knew the cap/rack would be fixed. I would highly recommend the cap, but if you live in an area with more than one ARE dealer - go to the one that gives you a feeling of competence.
Eric
Sunny West Seattle, the land that time forgot.
thedanc
Scoobytruck Lurker

I just bought the Ozzbros cover

Post by thedanc »

That ARE cover looks like a great deal, especially if you can find it for only $800. I opted for a Tonneau cover. The Subaru Outback is the coolest station wagon ever made, but the thought of owning a station wagon makes my stomach hurt. I opted for the Baja because it has the fuel economy of a car (if I stay off the turbo charger) while having the versatility of a small pickup truck. Adding a full topper gives the Baja that station wagon look.

Any option is better than the factory plastic cover I was offered. The Subaru dealership I bought my car from had a very basic Tonneau cover. It was a big piece of cutting board plastic that locked to the center of the tailgate in one tiny spot. The corners of this Tonneau can easily be lifted several inches and most likely a good yank will pop that lock. I started to demonstrate this to the sales person, but he gave me the "if you break it you buy it look". The price on this (DEALER) was $1300. I'm sure if I was a hoodlum and didn't care about breaking it I could have easily gotten into the bed.

In the end, mostly due to all of the chatter in this forum, I bought the OzzBros tonneau cover. That was just $500. It is made out of 3/4" plywood and covered with some marine grade tarp material. At first this seemed like it would look cheap, but I'm quite delighted. The cover fits VERY tightly into the top of the bed and there is NOTHING to grab onto and NO flexing to get leverage to yank it off. Secondly, the lock on this thing is like a deadbolt you'd find on a shed. The car came with a bed extender and that props up the tonneau cover very nicely when loading/unloading. It is close to water proof, but isn't quite. All of the edges and the cover itself are tight, but there is a bit of a gap at the sides where the two panels of the cover come together that lets water in. Additionally, it only weighs about 35lbs, can be removed in minutes (if you have the key), and can be stored in the back seat.

-Dan
-Dan
2006 Baja Turbo
Eric
Scoobytruck Lurker

But where would I put the boats and dogs?

Post by Eric »

I guess tonns are OK if you're not carrying dogs and 20 ft long boats (at the same time). A rear cover really keeps that new car smell in the cab and the Petco smell in the back. Maybe its a geographical thing, but up here in the Pacific Northwest, a lot of us have the intestinal fortitude and robust genitalia to drive around in wagonlike automobiles. Based on the size of the Baja's bed, and using your logic I guess if I was going to get a tonneau, I would buy a sedan. To each their own, personally, I've never seen the point of putting a tonneau on a truck, no matter how big the bed. Good luck with your choice of accessory, I really hope it works for you. I do agree with you on the price though, caps are pretty spendy - mine was almost $1700, which works out to be nearly $425 a year until the car's paid off.
Eric
Sunny West Seattle, the land that time forgot.
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

Well after talking to the ARE dealler (yet again) I am no further ahead- Dealer won't quote a price on a custom order- until the order is written up (but before delivery) They were thinking along the lines of $1400 PLUS install!!!!! I said- NO Thanks- went home- got out a needle and thread- took my support rib from the subbie cover- and sewed on a reienforcing strap to the defective nylon rib strap- works now- and saved me dang near $2000
I always wanted a BRAT, I had a Baja (sold) Now I have an Outback
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Re: But where would I put the boats and dogs?

Post by jaxed »

Eric wrote: Based on the size of the Baja's bed, and using your logic I guess if I was going to get a tonneau, I would buy a sedan. To each their own, personally, I've never seen the point of putting a tonneau on a truck, no matter how big the bed.
Sometimes you want to cover the bed and lock it, but not all the time. The Ozz can be installed or removed in 30 seconds in the parking lot of Costco, so if you buy that 61" Plasma you can take it off the Ozz and load the TV into the back with no problems. It's all about flexibility.