Frustrations

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

hakysak
Scoobytruck Contributer

Frustrations

Post by hakysak »

I'm over 18,000 miles in the Baja, so I decided, since I have time, to go up to Subaru and get my oil changed. I got there and talked with the guy who sold me the truck and sat around waiting. He even got them to wash it for me, 'cause it was freakin' dirty. I paid and got the Baja back. I drove away, and as I neared the stoplight, I noticed that the Baja wasn't running right. I looked up and noticed that the little oil can was lit up on the dash. I needed to drive back to the dealer to have them look at it, so i went the back way to get there. About half way there, everything shut off. It would not start. I was very frustrated. I called the service department and they came to get me and two technicians looked at the truck. I was driven to the dealer and they finally got my Baja back. I sat for about 10 minutes before someone came in and told me what was wrong. Apparently, when the were changing the oil, someone forgot that they had drained it and nothing had gone back in. So they thought it was done. My engine is dead. By this point, I was extremely frustrated, but very calm at the same time. They talked to me about what the plan was. They are ordering me a brand new engine. I get a rental until they get it fixed. The owner of the dealership wanted to talk to me and apologize. He thanked me for being so calm about this. I told him the truth. I does me no good to yell and scream and tell them that they messed up. They know that. And I know that they are doing the best they can to fix this problem in a timely manner. So, I miss the Baja. I'm driving an '06 Outback right now. An automatic. That sucks because I'm used to the standard. I'll be talking to them about my warranty when everything is fixed, because it should basically start over since it's a brand new motor.
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

Holy crap!

Man, this is why I absolutely fear taking my cars anywhere for any sort of service. It's impossible to trust anyone or anything to get the job done right.

I'm glad they are working with you on this.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Wowee, a day of disaster!! At least they are doing the right thing, and putting in a new engine. At least they didn't try to blame you for it. Service like that is nice. We have had weird things like this happen once and a great while at the stealership where I work. We always went out of our way to get it fixed right. And hopefully, kept the customer after getting it right for them. Mike
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

That must have been one hell of a day. Good for you, to keep your cool and work with the dealership. I hope you will get a full warranty back when they install the new engine.
-EB
jrm123180
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by jrm123180 »

I would have worked on getting them to replace the car itself...the 06's get a bit better gas milage.
memphisjames
Scoobytruck Lurker

Look on the bright side...

Post by memphisjames »

You are getting 18,000 miles on your engine for free. :)
hakysak
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by hakysak »

Well, the Baja is back! It's good to be back in such a good truck. The Outback kind of sucked. Not my cup of tea. It felt good to drive it home finally.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

cool, congrats! how are they gonna do your warranty?
'05 Baja-T M/T white/silver
370 awhp
hakysak
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by hakysak »

The normal warranty for the engine. So I got 18,000 miles out of the other engine for free.
Spacinjasman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Spacinjasman »

:( I took my '06 Baja turbo in for the first oil change last week and wanted the dealer to adress some rattles I was having in the headliner. I left the car for over 24 hours as I live in the next town over. I pick up my Baja the next day, specifically asked if they changed the oil and left in my Baja. I stopped a few blocks down to check the oil (i never trust anyone with oil changes), and low and behold it had oil in. Only it was the same dirty oil! They forgot to change the oil even though they had the car for over 24 hours! They did fix the headliner rattles though!
I just don't have a whole lot of confidnce in my local Subaru dealer after a negative first experience! Hopefully my next experience will be more positive!
'06 Silver Baja Turbo MT