Replacing dashboard bulbs problems

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

SCOOTER
Scoobytruck Lurker

Replacing dashboard bulbs problems

Post by SCOOTER »

I apologize being a 65 year old newbie. I looked on YouTube and I'm a little bit new to the Baja and I took apart the dashboard to replace the Dashboard Lights with t tens and a few T fives. I'm having problems with the T5 changing the polarity but my issue is when I bring the dashboard cluster and replug the three wires I do not have left or right turn signals. Is this because I do not have part of the dashboard plugged in where the emergency flashers are plugged in. I'm scared I'll put it all back together and I won't have a turn signal and won't be able to go to the wicked big meet in Connecticut for the first time. Can someone tell me what the answer is thank you. scooter
SupeRoo Baja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Replacing dashboard bulbs problems

Post by SupeRoo Baja »

Hey Scooter,

I replaced the dash and cluster bulbs, and the LED's are polarity specific.. I had to re-install several of them as I got them backwards. Just had to install cluster, connect all the wires, and get the light to turn on to test them. Most cluster lights are on with ignition on, engine off. If the LED doesn't light, take out the cluster, and reverse.

Some lights have back feed and stay slightly lit with LED's. I swapped them back to standard bulbs. I remember that the Battery, and ABS do this.. might be more.

Turn signals. I don't think they will work w/out 4way flasher connected as it uses the grounds. However, I installed new incandescent bulbs as the LED's were WAY too bright and were glaring every time I used the signals. You can just set all the trim pieces in w/out snapping them into place to check, or you can remove the hazard switch from the trim bezel and reconnect it to test. I had to take mine apart like 3 times to get them all correct.

If you replace cluster main light bulbs, I suggest to replace dash bulbs as well.. if you use the old bulbs in the Dash HVAC controls, you cant see them due to the LED's being so bright; I turn the lights down to lowest setting and the old bulbs just don't light up enough to be seen.