05 Turbo Spark Plug Replacement?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

TheCurrent
Scoobytruck Lurker

05 Turbo Spark Plug Replacement?

Post by TheCurrent »

Greetings!

I’ve got a 2005 Baja Turbo and I’m attempting to change the spark plugs. I’ve looked on several different forums and of course used the “search” feature but I’m coming up empty handed. All I have found are links to YouTube videos for changing the spark plugs in either a legacy GT, outback XT, or a WRX/STI. These Baja’s or at least MY Baja there is absolutely ZERO room to even be able to pull the coils out let alone unscrew the coil bolts all of the way out with the frame in the way. There’s info on removing the motor mount bolts and jacking up the engine on some of those links but it still doesn’t appear to be the same as a Baja.
Can anyone please shed any light on this? A link maybe?
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: 05 Turbo Spark Plug Replacement?

Post by mike-tracy »

See, this is why people pay mechanics to do their spark plug changes. :(

The bolt in the coil pack is semi captive, and I use a box wrench to get it loosened.

The coil packs themselves (more specifically the rubber boots on them) will be siezed to the head and spark plug. So you're going to have to find some way to unstick them with having no space to work. Then, you rotate the coil pack a particular direction while pulling (depends on which cylinder it is) until the coil pack is almost touching the frame rail.

Once you find the sweet spot, you bend the coil pack down, up, left or right or catycornered (again, depends on the cylinder) (you are actually bending the rubber boot on the back, not literally the plastic and metal coil itself) and pull it out at that angle.

THEN you use your nifty double u-joint "t-handle spark plug" tool to remove and replace the spark plugs.

I have an H6 engine in my Baja, it's even closer to the frame rails, and has 2 more cylinders. It's still possible!

Unbolting the motor mounts from the cross member and lifting the engine a couple inches is a valid option. Your car has a different exhaust from an N/A but the location of the motor-mount-studs in the crossmember is the same as every EJ engine subaru has made. Based on your frustration level, I'd try attacking it from this angle.
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

I have an 05 NA and it's still a journey to change the plugs.

I've read others have jacked up the engine or cut holes in the wheel well for access.

Good luck!
05 NA 5MT
TheCurrent
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by TheCurrent »

I finally got the plugs changed out, and boy did they need it!
Two 14mm lower motor mount bolts and a floor jack did the trick in about 1.5 hours (taking extra time to be extremely careful of course).
Attachments
1F29FC61-6C89-429F-ADE0-652F53C174D4.jpeg
1F29FC61-6C89-429F-ADE0-652F53C174D4.jpeg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 2157 times
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

Yes!!!!

Congrats!
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
deanrocker
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by deanrocker »

What size extension did you use? I am assuming I push in the spark plug socket by itself, right? Will a 4" extension reach the socket and push it onto the plug? How will I remove the socket and extention once they are snapped together? Fra.e will be in the way, right?