Who wants an off road/winch Bumper?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

SupeRoo Baja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Who wants an off road/winch Bumper?

Post by SupeRoo Baja »

Hi all,

I am having my winch bumper fabricated, and I suggested to my builder that he could make/sell some of these to other Baja owners since we don't have a ton of options for any real frontend work, and the 'ratt' bumper is kind of a bust. This would also fit the legacy/outback models with the same front end as well. (pictures will be added as it gets further into completion.. currently in the mock up stage)

These will come from Colorado, so some travel or shipping will most likely be involved. I have added tentative pricing, subject to change as he figures out if there is any volume, and gets a better idea on how long build times are. The more orders he can get, the cheaper he can make them as he can purchase metal in bulk, and work in stages. And these will be unfinished/painted as you can use powder coat/bed liner/paint/etc. Once the patterns are made, it's about a 2 week turn around depending on how much bumper you order.

As we discussed some options, he decided that the best way to accomplish this was to build a modular setup, and build from a platform up. All parts are removable and use the bumper/tow point connections to bolt onto.

He is using hardened plates, and roll cage bars, but can use whatever materials you request. (As far as tube diameter etc) All bumper bars will have 1/8 drain holes, capped ends, with no welded angles or tubes; full mandrel bent. Light mounts/further mods can be added on request:

Winch bumper connects to the tow hook mounts. Winch pattern holes drilled on request. 400$

Main bumper that matches body lines. Can be added as stand alone, or connect the main bumper to the Winch bumper. Connects to the original bumper attachment bolts, +500$ integrated / +400$ Stand alone

A Nudge bar can be added at whatever size requested. (can be installed on standalone bumpers) +200$

Brush/head light guards can also be added to request. +400$

This brings an entire custom front end with winch, nudge bar, and brush guard to about 1500$, or any combination in between. As we figure out how long all of the fabrication takes once patterns are made, and metal prices we can get a better idea on production costs.

Let me know what you would think a good price would be and we'll see if we can come up w/ some solutions.
Ben Staad
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Who wants an off road/winch Bumper?

Post by Ben Staad »

Glad someone is open to the idea for such a niche market. I would be interested to see what this looks like first before weighing in on a potential price point.
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

Very interested.

I would also like to see what they look like first.
05 NA 5MT
SupeRoo Baja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by SupeRoo Baja »

Here is a quick shot of the winch mount bumper. I will be down there tonight looking at it and will get some more pics as it gets more parts added.
Attachments
BajaWinch.jpg
BajaWinch.jpg (4.13 MiB) Viewed 5387 times
RooBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by RooBaja »

Hi,
Just wondering how the project coming along and any pictures with an update. Thanks
SupeRoo Baja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by SupeRoo Baja »

Hi everyone, sorry it has taken so long for an update, I was on a work trip, and the welder broke. Back from trip, and he has a new welder. Here are some pics:

Bumper is almost done, needs to have the push bar added.
5/16" thick, 4x6inch angle iron added as rock sliders
Largest Skid plate ever. Needs vent holes, and might have to cut it down some.. covers the transmission :shock:
Attachments
20210831_141042.jpg
20210831_141042.jpg (3.31 MiB) Viewed 5183 times
20210831_141027.jpg
20210831_141027.jpg (4.65 MiB) Viewed 5183 times
20210831_141035.jpg
20210831_141035.jpg (4.97 MiB) Viewed 5183 times
CNaylor
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by CNaylor »

I like the bones... Not a fan of the big "teeth"... for a lack of better description.

IMHO... I would alter the design slightly so that the top bar is equal in height to the top of the Wench box... so that some of the factory bumper (could still exist above that point to create a more integrated look.

That's at least what I have imaged having on my Baja... but I lack any ability to make it.
envirogisgirl
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by envirogisgirl »

Hi, I am interested in an update on this project. Also any options for a stubby, or bull bar/ winch/lights mount only option - the images are a little beefier than I pictured needed on a Baja. Its a lot of added weight on your front end. Also are you integrating a skid or rock roller bar? Thanks!
Thanks y'all,

Dawn