Considering buying a Baja

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Bubsaroni
Scoobytruck Lurker

Considering buying a Baja

Post by Bubsaroni »

I'm in the market for a replacement car, and I've been looking a bit at these funky little trucks. Probably, if I go forward with a Baja, I'd be interested in an '06 NA MT, because I like manuals, and I'm more interested in avoiding the extra problems a turbo can bring than I am in the extra power.

But, at the same time, the newest of these vehicles is 15 years old or so, and I'm not really a mechanic. I've fixed a few smaller things on my cars before, and I find that given some time online a lot of problems are fixable by yourself if you've got the tools, parts, and patience, but I'm not rolling in enough money to buy something I'll end up pouring money into, either.

So I'm wondering, if I pursue one of these, is there any way to know if I'm getting something reliable, or is it something of a shot in the dark? Are there any obvious signs of looming problems I should watch for on a test drive? overheating, drips, and smells, sure, but anything else in particular?

I like the little trucks, but needing something I can rely on to get to work, I can't afford to get something that'll blow itself up, yknow? sorry, I lean towards paranoia when I'm looking at cars haha
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Considering buying a Baja

Post by Guacamole »

Sadly it pretty much is a shot in the dark nowadays. Sure if you can crawl under the car/get it on a lift and look at the underside for any head gasket leaks, broken CV boots, how much rust there is, etc...
Now if you're a mechanic, especially a Subie tech, you'd probably know exactly what to look for (I'm neither and went in blind).
For what its worth, I bought my 06 NA back in 2015 at 150k miles. Since then, it's now at 227k and I've put in half of what I paid in replacing things (most of the cost was labor :lol:) including the dreaded head gasket failure.
However, I love this little truck/car/thing and if the engine or trans goes I'm gonna replace that as well and I will run her until she'll run no more.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Important questions:
How much do you want to spend?
How much do you plan to set aside to cover "emergency repairs?
Do you know or have a TRUSTED, COMPETENT mechanic, especially one who is familiar with Subarus?

Suggestions:
Prices are all over the place. A post today showed that someone picked up a 2005 "project" needing head gaskets for 1600.00. We'll call that the bottom end (besides the one that was picked up super cheap a while back - what was it 350.00????)
High end can run around 10K for a low mileage "cream puff"
If possible, try to buy from a private seller that has history on the car. For example: One of my better purchases was a 2002 Forester with 185K miles. I got it from the ORIGINAL owner, who was an accountant, and had kept EVERY receipt for anything done to the car. He gave me all of that in a bag when I bought it. I sorted out the important stuff: head gaskets, brake work, etc, and tossed the tons of little things like oil changes and wiper blades. The car currently has about 245 K, and is driven by my daughter. Repairs have been: timing belt / water pump (preventative maintenance), Radiator, an A/C compressor besides "normal" things like tires, brakes, and oil changes and tranny filter service.
I suggest you ask around and find a good Subie mechanic, preferrably one who works on the side, and this can be a very enjoyable car. Dennis
Bubsaroni
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Bubsaroni »

good advice! I've seen a couple listed at dealers (tho even for that I've got to extend my search basically nationwide) but they seem to average 8, 10, 12k (I've seen some more than that, even), which is definitely more than I'd want to pay for something so old that, really, isn't a guarantee. I'll definitely see what I can find from private sellers instead of dealers, someone with a maintenance record to go with it would be a load off my mind.

I don't know any mechanics around where I've moved to, but I will look around and see who's in town. With any luck I'll find someone knowledgeable about Subarus. otherwise I might be better off going with something else, eh?
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Best bet on a mechanic is to start asking Subaru owners who they use.
Bajas: Ebay seems to be around 12K for under 100K and as low as 5K for above 200K miles. Personally, mine has 212K
A replacement engine is cheaper than a QUALITY paint job. Dennis
wryandwatchful
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by wryandwatchful »

Hey team, new guy here piggybacking off this thread. I drove one of these beauties a couple months ago and wanted to join the club since. What I'm gathering is to not be surprised by some issues coming up due to the age of the car. Will be an ongoing investment of money in most cases. I'm looking at a 2005 turbo being sold by a Subaru mechanic (one of his projects, probably to make some cash on the side). He says he basically rebuilt the engine and expects it to last 100K more miles (odometer at 280K currently). He says most engine parts have been replaced (entire engine resealed, short block replaced), possibly expects the front axle needs to be replaced in the future, but otherwise is good to go. Asking $12K+. Just wondering your guys' thoughts. Is this the dream scenario to get it from a mechanic with most of the parts updated? Or is the high mileage too much to overcome? Like the OP, not an expert on cars here. I would probably have another mechanic look at it to confirm the work.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

From MY (and note the capital MY) perspective and experience: 12K for a 280 thousand mile vehicle????? Why buy this when for the same price there are ones (on evilbay) for LESS. I don't care about "rebuilt", "new shortblock", etc. The rest of the vehicle still has 280 K miles. That represents a lot of time sitting in (at least) the driver seat (wear) controls to include steering wheel, pedals / linkages, etc. door hinges, suspension, bearings, "axle" was mentioned, TRANSAXLE ? That also will be a chunk of change. Then there's the rear differential, which will have to match the front one (ratio wise).
I mentioned earlier about paint. All food for thought. Dennis
wryandwatchful
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by wryandwatchful »

Thanks for your thoughts Dennis! I had the same initial impression as you so it’s good to know I’m not totally off. Other opinions?
Ben Staad
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Ben Staad »

I think Dennis hit all the high points. Not anything I could add.
wryandwatchful
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by wryandwatchful »

Thanks guys for your thoughts. The search goes on. Hopefully I can join the ranks soon. [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]
Diggndeep
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Diggndeep »

As a relatively new Baja owner I would encourage anybody that is looking for one to consider parts cost. I was unaware of how expensive some of these parts can be. That said I love my Baja and plan on keeping it for as long as possible.