cladding/molding clips

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Re: cladding/molding clips

Post by ZUBAJA »

Thanks for posting those. I and others will find them helpful for removing / repairing cladding. From the pictures, it almost looks like the cladding would have to be slid off? Dennis
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

ZUBAJA wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:20 am Thanks for posting those. I and others will find them helpful for removing / repairing cladding. From the pictures, it almost looks like the cladding would have to be slid off? Dennis
No, not really! They should not be removed or installed by sliding them on or off. You'll never get them to really move like that. They should be removed by prying them off at each fastener/clip and installed by pushing the cladding in at each fastener/clip
For removal, get yourself a Car Trim Removal Kit which is relatively inexpensive. They can be found on eBay. You can find kits that come with a few tools and extensive kits with more pieces if you do a search on eBay using "Car Trim Removal Kit" as a search term.
I like the larger sets that include the 3 metal tools. These sets are great to have. I've used these tools a lot. There's nothing like having the right tool for the job!
(I attached a photo of the 3 metal removal tools that I got off an eBay listing from one of the larger Car Trim Removal Kits listed. The top 2 in the photo are like small pry tools and the other can also be used to remove the type of clip in my cladding photos but I don't use it for that because I'm afraid that it might scratch the metal body panel behind the cladding. You can use that also if you think it wont scratch anything.)
The plastic tools are good to have for removing dash panels and other plastic parts with hidden tabs that you can't see.
(This is why I keep photos I find online in my Baja file on my computer. Read my previous post on that subject in this thread! I have photos of the reverse or hidden sides of dash panels and such showing where the tabs are so if I have to remove them, I refer to the photos and I know exactly where to place the tools. If you place the tools just anywhere and you're too far away from the tab, sometimes the tabs break off and ruins the part completely. Most of these parts are unavailable from Subaru and used ones in good cosmetic condition are hard to find and expensive.)
Anyway, to remove the panels with the type of clip you see in my cladding photos, I use 1 of the 2 metal pry tools in the top of the photo.
This is where the cladding photos come in handy! Using the cladding photos, you will know exactly where each clip is so you can place the business end of the tool behind the edge EXACTLY where the clip is located.
Give the tool a quick, short yank. The cladding is slightly flexible so it will give a bit when you yank out the edge with the tool but do NOT pull out too far or you might bend and actually crease the cladding which you wont be able to straighten out. If you crease the plastic of the cladding the paint will peel off and the crease will be permanent.
DO NOT lever or rotate the tool where the metal arm is angled once you have it placed behind the cladding. Rotating or levering the metal arm of the pry tool against the metal body panel of the vehicle to unfasten the clip will possibly scratch or crush the paint layers and possibly leave a small dent on the body panel. Just give the pry tool a very short quick yank straight away from the body!
The first clip you unfasten on a particular cladding panel should be on a corner which, after it is unfastened, will make it easier to pull away the cladding slightly and actually see the remaining clips. Once you unfasten 1 or 2 clips, you might be able to unfasten the rest just using just your fingers behind the panel instead of the metal tool.
Installing the panels is much easier. Install all the clips on the cladding panel in their slots. Carefully place the cladding panel in its proper location against the vehicle without letting any of the clips fall off. Start on one end of the panel and rap the panel with the side of your side fist exactly where a clip is located. You'll immediately see if the clip is seated as it should be when the edge is tight against the vehicle body panel underneath it.
I hope I covered everything that you needed to know. If you have other questions, just ask and hopefully I'll have constructive answers for you.
Good Luck!
Attachments
Metal Door Panel Car Trim Removal Tools from sets found on eBay!
Metal Door Panel Car Trim Removal Tools from sets found on eBay!
ergh.jpg (59.53 KiB) Viewed 1945 times
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Thanks again. I guess the "sliding slots" are more for installing the little clips. I have seen some body panels where they do have to be slid rather than pried as prying breaks some fasteners (I usually go "learn" at a boneyard - while Bajas are more than rare, Outbacks have many of the same fasteners.
I have made a lot of my own removal tools, but it can't hurt to have that 3 piece set around. Dennis
SoobyToo58
Scoobytruck Master

Post by SoobyToo58 »

Sure, if you made your own tools, that's great too but you can get a set of these 3 PLUS all the plastic ones AND the small metal ones used for removing car stereos for about $20.00 on eBay. They're a godsend when you need them. I'm a tool junkie. It really sucks trying to fix or remove something when you don't have the right tool especially plastic parts that break easily or get scratched up.
Also, you can get those specific clips for super cheap on eBay as well but look carefully before you buy because there are so many different kinds of clips and some look almost exactly the same while others look identical in photos but are of very slightly different size. Others also might be exactly like yours but might be different colors so don't let that confuse you. The ones on the cladding panels are softer plastic and wont break or crack... at least not in the summer when it's warm. I don't know if they'll crack when they're cold but probably not.