Elusive camper shells=WHAT OTHER IDEAS for sleeping?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

HOMES
Scoobytruck Lurker

Elusive camper shells=WHAT OTHER IDEAS for sleeping?

Post by HOMES »

Hi all,
New here. I'm in Minnesota, just bought a great condition '05 silver turbo Baja. Exciting, obviously!

I knew a camper shell might be impossible to get--but if anyone has a lead anywhere in MN, WI, Dakotas, IA, IL, etc., please message me.

Perhaps more interesting for folks--what are other options if I want to sleep in this thing during a big trip I'm planning circling the Great Lakes?

I'm not handy enough to full-on build a cover. But maybe someone/someplace out there has this on offer?

Maybe some tents actually fit perfectly? But if it rains, is the bed drainage poor enough that the tent floor would soak?

Anyone just sleep through the hatch into the bed with a basic cover/lid on? Uncomfortable?

Etc... Posted this in sell/trade but it's more a discussion topic too. Sorry for any newbie clumsiness!

Thanks
Ben Staad
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Elusive camper shells=WHAT OTHER IDEAS for sleeping?

Post by Ben Staad »

Welcome to the forum and Congrats on the Baja! Sadly I don't have any leads for you but hopefully someone else can help with that.
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

05 NA 5MT
HOMES
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by HOMES »

Thanks for the welcome and the link! Hope to keep gathering input...
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

Have you tried laying down in the bed? Drop the tailgate and the pass-through and put your sleeping mat down to see how you fit.
05 NA 5MT
SupeRoo Baja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by SupeRoo Baja »

Little bit older thread, but.. this is what I want to do:

https://www.kompactkamptrailers.com/minimatecamper

This is a motorcycle camper, weighs in at around 250lbs. Sleeps 2, has add on room, and comes in at 6.6ft headroom. BUT, if you look at the dimensions, it will fit in the Baja bed w/ tailgate down..

I want to create my own fiberglass tub, and get the tent portion from the company. I have heard they will sell the fabric separate from the trailer. So, next year or so I want to try and get this fit up for a Baja 'in bed camper'
Attachments
minimate.png
minimate.png (156.68 KiB) Viewed 2348 times