Did the Santa Cruz and Maverick beat Subaru to the punch?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Slopchoppy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Did the Santa Cruz and Maverick beat Subaru to the punch?

Post by Slopchoppy »

What are people thinking about the 2 new vehicles from Ford and Hundai? The Santa Cruz looks pretty sweet but it needs a roof rack. I was hoping Subaru remade the Baja because my ‘06 is getting a lot of miles packed on.
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Did the Santa Cruz and Maverick beat Subaru to the punch?

Post by oldpro »

No opinion about the Ford product. I'm a bit disappointed in the latest version of the door treatments of the Santa Cruz. I really liked the first renderings showing full-width front doors and only vestigial doors for the rear seat. Now it's too run-of-the -mill and less "Subaru Quirky." I'm still loving my '05 Baja, and while pushing 84 yo, I find it easy to get into and out of and appreciate its uniqueness.
Ben Staad
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Ben Staad »

The Ford just looks like any other truck out there. Not grabbing me at all.

The Santa Cruz looks nice with the exception of the rear side windows. I wish they would have kept a straight line. That being said I highly doubt I would be interested in it as it will be packed with tech which I abhor. I don't like touchscreens, digital media, TPS, or warnings for a million things I don't need blinking, beeping, or flashing at me.
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by oldpro »

Man; I agree with Ben! Being "old" I'm also "Old-School."
Slopchoppy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Slopchoppy »

It seems like the Santa Cruz isn’t really set up for off road. It needs a roof rack too. Carrying a kayak, bikes or a surfboard as well as looking cool. I like the halfway setting for the tailgate to carry some longer items

When they were talking about bringing the Baja back a couple years ago, there were a lot of complaints that the bed was too small and load rating wasn’t high enough. That’s what I like about my Baja. I can throw a bunch of lightweight stuff in the back but nobody calls me when they’re moving.
ltdan12a
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by ltdan12a »

If the Santa Cruz bed was just a couple inches longer and had a pass-through, my Baja would be up for sale...
Ben Staad
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Ben Staad »

Didn't notice that there was no pass through. Seems like a must.
ltdan12a wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:13 pm If the Santa Cruz bed was just a couple inches longer and had a pass-through, my Baja would be up for sale...
Slopchoppy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Slopchoppy »

Santa Cruz has a mid-way setting for the tailgate where it’s partially down so you could load something in the bed and it could rest on the tailgate. I don’t know if it has spots to put 2x4’s to be at the level of the gate.

I’ve had my Baja since 2006 and never used the pass through because I live in Florida and it’s either too hot or raining. I had a t-bar made for my receiver hitch so I can put longer things partly on the roof rack and partly on the t-bar. I usually have a canoe or kayak up there but it works for lumber too
Slopchoppy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Slopchoppy »

Saw a Santa Cruz on Friday and got a couple photos next to my Baja. The Santa Cruz is a little bigger but not huge.

I’m still keeping the Baja.
Attachments
5EFC14A1-DFF3-4F31-A26B-6886F99CC023.jpeg
5EFC14A1-DFF3-4F31-A26B-6886F99CC023.jpeg (3.57 MiB) Viewed 7112 times
9C3CB643-C0B6-47E3-9048-1EA1D07DAB55.jpeg
9C3CB643-C0B6-47E3-9048-1EA1D07DAB55.jpeg (3.28 MiB) Viewed 7112 times
ltdan12a
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by ltdan12a »

I haven't checked out the Maverick yet, but I think the Hyundai missed the mark... No pass through, funky shaped bed, and what I've seen of the interior makes me think they could have lost some of the "cockpit" feel for more open space.....