Should I or shouldn't I buy a Baja

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Winterhawk
Scoobytruck Lurker

Should I or shouldn't I buy a Baja

Post by Winterhawk »

Not your problem I know, but here's some background. Bought an 07 Impreza Outback Sport and drove it for 195k before needing something bigger so bought a 15 Outback. Also have an 02 Blaze Yellow WRX (1 of 450) that is low miles, excellent condition, but just doesn't get driven. The Outback is a keeper, but seriously thinking of selling the WRX to get a Baja. The Outback gets used for everthing from hauling the dog, to box store shopping, to towing a 4x8 utility trailer for Home Depot, recycler, dump runs, etc. We would still use the Outback for alot of stuff but I could see a Baja for more of the dirty work. It could still tow the utility trailer plus the bed is just right for recycler trips, small Home Depot trips, hauling 2 bicycles, one dirty dog etc. We though of getting a small older pickup like a Tacoma or Ranger but the Baja might just be the ticket. Any regrets here or issues living with a Baja?
Whidbey Island, WA
terayon
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Should I or shouldn't I buy a Baja

Post by terayon »

We had a Baja for a year or so after we bought a new home. It was amazing. Much easier than using a utility trailer. We had a canopy we could throw on and the dog loved it.

I wish some parts were easier to find... subaru is a great supplier, however ARE, Snugtop, etc... don't support their accessories any more.

Hope that helps,
Jordan
Van Isl, BC

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

Huge money pits, fuel inefficient, not in the same league reliability wise as the average honda or toyota.

Not very practical either, only 4 seats. So if you're full with passengers, what are you going to do with their belongings? In the bed?

The outbacks these are based on typically cost 1/2 or even 1/4 as much as a baja. And you get lockable, dry storage in the back.

If all that doesn't deter you, then maybe you too can be a Baja owner. People think they're worth an absolute mint, trust me they drive the same as an outback, only slower due to the extra weight (maintenance hog turbos, excluded).
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
hobierandy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by hobierandy »

Sold my first Baja a few years ago, missed it and got another one last summer. They are unique and fun. I like them because unlike other subys of that era they hold their value. A similar condition outback would be thousands less, and continue to drop in price. The Baja will hold its price or increase as long as you don't let it rust away.
Winterhawk
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Winterhawk »

I have to disagree that any Subaru is a money pit. 3 and counting and only routine maintainance with a combined 370k with the Impreza Outback Sport at 195k. No head gaskets, spun bearings, wheel bearings, CV joints, etc. Only tires, brakes, timing belts, and fluids, and I do my own service including timing belts. I rarely have more than just one passenger so the back seat would be for the dog. Could use a larger bed, but with a bed extender and my trailer I think I'm covered. Baja's are unique which can be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective. I'll be looking at one this weekend and we'll see how it goes. Not in a hurry so will bee looking at all option including NA, Turbo, auto, an 5 speed. The WRX fan in me says turbo 5 speed, but lets face it, a Baja is not a track star so a turbo should be looked at as the right amount of power and an auto as nice for traffic.
Whidbey Island, WA
Jud
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Jud »

Nope, baja isn't a track star, but was the Baja made for the track? 🤔 I love my Baja. Super versatile vehicle.
Jud
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

hobierandy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:38 am The Baja will hold its price or increase as long as you don't let it rust away.
This all depends on how much you use it and where you store / park it. If you put lots of miles on it, haul everything BIGGER than the kitchen sink, and leave it parked outside (especially in Florida), don't expect it to increase or hold value.
If you like Subarus, like driving something "different", want something you can toss stuff (smaller stuff) in the back, and maybe haul a couple of passengers sometimes, then a Baja could be for you.
People seem to complain about lack of power on non turbos. My '03 N/A (manual) seems to have plenty of pep. As an 18 year old car, mostly outdoors in Florida, my paint is going south. I'll probably be up for a paint investment before long. Besides that, I'm enjoying it. If I end up with any rear body damage, there often seem to be parts available on evilbay. Dennis
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

Depends on your needs.

It's my daily commuter and hauls small stuff that I wouldn't want inside. I also use it for volunteer trail maintenance. it's got decent clearance for some not too bad roads, gets 4 people there almost comfortably, and lots of room for tools and hauling out scrap. A bigger truck wouldn't be right for my needs, neither would a smaller truck nor a hatchback.

YMMV
05 NA 5MT
mgerardt
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by mgerardt »

Jud wrote:Nope, baja isn't a track star, but was the Baja made for the track? Image I love my Baja. Super versatile vehicle.
Jud
I’m with you, Jud. I use my Atlantic blue Baja daily on a commute that makes me merge and then quickly change lanes to make my exit (264 / 64 in southeastern VA). It makes me super happy to leave the big boy trucks in the dust as they try to bully me out of the faster lanes. My Scooby Doo has >205K and has some rust spots (where the door meets the frame, back driver side). When it’s windy on the CBBT I sometimes worry we will do like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but any worry or fear is completely overshadowed by the joy this car brings me, every day and every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk