Any swap Ideas?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Baja'nWisconsin
Scoobytruck Lurker

Any swap Ideas?

Post by Baja'nWisconsin »

Hey brand new to the ScoobyTruck Forum, but long time lurker for general fixes-repairs.
Here's the story, I have a 2003 Subaru Baja NA, it was fun, but she leaked oil and burnt oil like a power plant. Anyways, I had put Lucas oil, and heavy oil in it every so often and it seemed to slow down the burning. buuuut, it hit -14 *F where I live, and the small engine, heavy oil, and Lack of good loving, the engine started but not like normal. I don't know what I did but I physically heard shattering, and loud scratches, and a small kind of bang. RIP 2.5 "I think". But I'm sick of her being a slow funny car all the guys intown laugh at. I want to make the boomers in their Nova's second guess it. I was just wondering, what swaps I could do to make this little Baja grow up and show off the way Subaru intended, And I really am looking at an LS swap, but I have NO idea how or if it would even be possible for it. Some help - comments would be much appreciated thank you. Also if it is possible, I would 100% be on board as long as you know it doesn't destroy my wallet.
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Any swap Ideas?

Post by ZUBAJA »

Given that our boxer engines are all of about 16" in length, GOOD LUCK with that LS swap. Reality is you are pretty much stuck with a Subaru boxer swap. Some have successfully, and happily done an H6 swap. There seem to be plenty of performance options for various boxer engines. Budget is a consideration.
Back in the day, there was a kit for small block Chevy to Suzuki Samurai conversion. It included a longer hood and front fenders. Dennis
STEVEW
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Any swap Ideas?

Post by STEVEW »

3.0 H6 from an 00-04 Outback is a common swap, it is a lot of work though. I haven't done it so I don't know exactly what but there are well documented swaps if you google it.