Bigger rear sway bar

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

hobierandy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Bigger rear sway bar

Post by hobierandy »

Would like to make my 03 a little looser in the back. Any idea what model subaru with a fatter bar fits these?
kensei
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Bigger rear sway bar

Post by kensei »

A popular swap for 2000-04 Outback Wagons was upgrading to the Baja Turbo rear sway bar. Apparently the OBW had a stock size of 13mm through '03 and then a 16mm in '04. Posts I saw indicated that the Turbo Baja had a 17mm bar that was a direct swap.

A little searching on Subaru Parts seems to indicate that the stock rear bar on a NA Baja (same PN for '03-'06) is 16mm and there is a different PN for the Turbo bar. Since you have an 03 and therefore an NA, it would seem that the Turbo bar would be somewhat of an upgrade. Maybe one of the engineer types on here can figure out how much a 1mm increase would make. I am guessing that is prob going to be the biggest OEM bar available, since the wagon, which was actually a little heavier on the platform, already had a smaller one. Most of the aftermarket stuff seems to be around 20mm, +/-.

Turbo rear sway bar: 20451AE17B (about $50)
Bushings: 20464AG04A (about $2, x2)
ltdan12a
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by ltdan12a »

Great info Kensei!
DocSemtex
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by DocSemtex »

I used Whiteline BSR12XZ & KLC139 - These bolt on just fine. Combine with 8” wide rubber and it’s glorious.
There is a very noticeable difference between the modded suspension and my stock Baja. Tire wear increased for some reason. (Most likely driver enthusiasm in the cornering.)
Last edited by DocSemtex on Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
05BT5MT 128k sorta stock. Kinda.
06BT5MT “212k”; 8.5:1/E85/28psi; AWIC; RA1-4/LGT 5th; SureTrack LSDs; Haltech
BajaTim
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BajaTim »

DocSemtex wrote:I used Whiteline BSR12XZ & KLC139 - These bolt on just fine. Combine with 8.5” wide rubber and it’s glorious.
There is a very noticeable difference between the modded suspension and my stock Baja. Tire wear increased for some reason. (Most likely driver enthusiasm in the cornering.)
Do those endlinks hang exactly vertical between the two mounting points - or are they “angled”? Did you have to use any spacers? I’m looking at using the KLC182 as they are adjustable, a bit cheaper, and their length is closer to my current actual mounting distance (3.5” to 4.5”). The Moog replacement for turbo Baja indicates an endlink length of 5.5”. I’m using the 2003 Outback OE springs which give a drop of about 1” over stock - which may account for the difference (I don’t know).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DocSemtex
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by DocSemtex »

The front links are off by about 1.5°-2°. I have kept an eye on the margins of the bushings to see if I’m getting wear. Bajas have a Forester front and an Outback rear.
Rear links are dead on but it takes a little playing around to get them set with the ball joint close to center.
Originally, I was using the STi aluminum arms but they are designed for a vehicle about 1” lower. The front links were so off it popped the bushings out half way. Foresters, Outbacks, and Bajas have a 1”-ish spacer for body lift. I’m too scared to remove them because it may require a crapload of Legacy and Impreza suspension and control parts.
Honestly, though, I feel the OEM Baja suspension is pretty dang good. -Way better than my last OBXT. Firming up tower bracing and anti-roll hardware improved it for cold/sunny track days but tire wear and control on gravel/dirt country road routes blows chunks.
05BT5MT 128k sorta stock. Kinda.
06BT5MT “212k”; 8.5:1/E85/28psi; AWIC; RA1-4/LGT 5th; SureTrack LSDs; Haltech
kensei
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by kensei »

DocSemtex wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:28 am ...control on gravel/dirt country road routes blows chunks.
This was my experience when I upgraded the rear bar on my SH Forester to one from a WRX. Dry handling was noticeably better, but it was enough change that it would start to come around pretty easily on gravel. Unfortunately, the stability control was so intrusive that it would activate super quickly when this happened. It gave similar results in the snow. No such issues on the Baja...