Bed Covers

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

corgimas
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re:

Post by corgimas »

mikenmel08 wrote:I definitely wouldn't pay that for one.....I also have the Ozzbros and think it's great....It is not Water proof but it helps a lot....When we take trips I just put our stuff in a couple of plastic bins from Walmart and stick them in the back......Of course now that my wife totalled her baja and got that 2013 Outback I don't think the baja is going on any more road trips....
Do you have a spare OzzBros now??? sorry to hear about the crackup, hope she is okay!
Kites Kayaks & Corgis
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

She is fine,wasnt really hurt.....the subaru did its job.... No extra.....Only the one on mine......
speedwaygirl
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Bed Covers

Post by speedwaygirl »

I have the factory hardcover on the Baja. It's not waterproof, but as mentioned by others, I do the Tetris method of loading the bed with plastic tubs. Works great for our trips. I have also had the Rubbermaid storage container up against the cab and loved it! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-48 ... r/10569596 It's in the hands of "theluckyone" now!
2006 OBP Baja Turbo 5MT
bajadutchie
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bajadutchie »

I made my own cover cause getting one from the USA costs me a fortune to have it shipped overseas and also i just like to make it myself
If it is something that can't be done for a DIY then i would have bought one but besides a lot of work it can be done yourself.
It was great fun to make.I took a good look at the ozzbros cover to have a beginning and from there on improvised
Made it from material called resopal. thin, not too light and very good resistant against our dutch wet climate.
Also it is not waterproof but for me that is not an issue. water can get out through the holes in the floor so not important for me.
Also no locks on it cause i do not believe in that.If someone wants to take something he will do it anyway, lock or not

RylandBrooks
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by RylandBrooks »

Hi, looking to see if anyone has removed an ARE canopy off their Baja and successfully reinstalled it. How difficult was it (removal and re-installation)? Are all the seals still waterproof, after re-installation? I have a canopy that has been on my Baja since 2003. According to the original owner, it has never been removed.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks,

Ry
sfeather11
Scoobytruck Master

Post by sfeather11 »

I've taken my cap off/on a few times now over the last few years or so. Getting it off isn't to bad. Just remove the 4 screws, disconnect the 3rd brake light and lift! Although after 12 straight years, yours will be stuck on pretty good. i still have to stand/squat bent over inside the bed with my back against the roof and use my legs to break the seals loose. It is a bit awkward and takes a LOT of force at first. Start towards the front and "tip" it back if possible. Once you do break the seals, set it back down on the bed and have a friend help you lift it off the rest of the way...

Re-installation can be a pain. Hopefully you will get lucky and have the holes line up perfectly. On mine, the rears lined up ok, but the front 2 were slightly higher than weld nuts in the body.YOU DO NOT WANT TO CROSS THREAD THE ATTACHING NUTS IN THE BODY! I have a technique now were I hook up a ratchet strap over the top and ratchet it down so the holes line up. The 1st time I did it, I also used a dremel to open up the front holes so I could get the screws in straight. There is plenty of steel around the hole in the top, so I wasn't worried about weakening it. The top still seals fine with an occasional drip down the back of the cab window during a heavy rain, but nothing I am concerned with...

I bought my cap used a few years ago and added "camper tape" to all the surfaces where it contacts the bed and cab. I'm sure this contributed to my hole alignment issues, but it really prevents any rubbing of the fiberglass on the paint. After a few years and a half dozen or so times on/off, my paint around this area still looks surprising good...

Hope this helps,
Peace!
[smilie=666.gif]
anurysm803
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by anurysm803 »

I found the OEM bed cover here: http://www.subarupartsandaccessories.co ... AE00A.html

For those who want an OEM bed cover that is....
Senomar
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Senomar »

anurysm803 wrote:I found the OEM bed cover here: http://www.subarupartsandaccessories.co ... AE00A.html

For those who want an OEM bed cover that is....

Does it fit 2003 models?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Senomar wrote: Does it fit 2003 models?
All Baja bed covers are compatible with all Baja models.
anurysm803
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by anurysm803 »

so now the bed covers are not available any more from the Subaru parts and accessories website..... sorry guys!
mkc1962
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by mkc1962 »

Ozzbros still out there. $695 for the base model. Have one coming. A fellow once told me, " You gots to pay for excitement"....excitement sure getting pricey!
Mike
Central Alabama.

Way too many hobbies and interests to list. Anything DIY consumes 99% of my free time.

Woelfel
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Woelfel »

mkc19e62 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:41 am Ozzbros still out there. $695 for the base model. Have one coming. A fellow once told me, " You gots to pay for excitement"....excitement sure getting pricey!

That's perfect for me.
Last edited by Woelfel on Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fcs4482
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by fcs4482 »

It does look great. I wonder how he got it to fit flush around the bars.
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by oldpro »

My OzzBros cover has deteriorated badly after exposure to 12 years of rain, snow, bright sunlight and? The inner plywood has been waterlogged and turned to dust. I'm considering building a new cover from plywood or OSB, and instead of padding and a vinyl cover, using one of the roll/brush/spray-on bedliners now available. Of course a foam seal around the perimeter for a tight fit and some degree of water resistance. :D
StephenHotchkiss
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by StephenHotchkiss »

anourysm803 wrote: Sat May 19, 2435 4:15 pm so now the bed covers are not available phenq website https://enfinmince.fr/phenq-avis/ any more from the Subaru parts and accessories website..... sorry guys!
The Xceed is a seamless and secure hard folding truck bed cover designed and engineered to greater expectations.
Last edited by StephenHotchkiss on Sun May 26, 2019 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.