Fuel pump questions

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

cgrab
Scoobytruck Lurker

Fuel pump questions

Post by cgrab »

Recent owner of a 2005 Baja. A couple of times it has not started. Then after a short delay it starts. It has started in between several times. I don't want to take it to the shop as it will work fine for them and I'll just get funny looks. I have started it with a starter fluid sprits in the intake a couple of times.

I'm going to replace the fuel pump 15A fuse for no apparent reason. I don't think there is a relay for the fuel pump.

I have investigated replacing the fuel pump and have a couple of questions. 1) What is the pin out for the fuel pump connector? It looks like there are six wires so I don't know which is which. I want to see that the pump is getting 12V.

2) Should I replace the pump or the whole assembly? (2a) Is the ~$200 between the cost of the pump and the assembly worth it? (2b) Is it difficult to just replace the pump once the assembly is removed?

Background that may have no impact: I got a check engine light and took it to the dealer who said it was a fuel sender problem and he rightly guessed that my gas gauge/light was wonky. He gave me a bottle of fuel treatment which I added at the next fill up. The starting issue began shortly afterwards.
cgrab
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Fuel pump questions

Post by cgrab »

Well the web is helpful if you are persistent. I found the fuel pump relay next to the fuse box under the drivers das, it works. I checked the fuel pump and it runs when the key is turned. I looked for a vacuum leak which another site said might be a problem and found the hose to the thing on the fuel rail (whatever that is) was split. I repaired it.

The car still has an intermittent problem: sometimes it will spin but not fire. I can leave it for a minute and it will start. The two times I used starter fluid it started-not sure if the starter fluid actually had an impact or if it just was a time when it would start.

Any ideas to make it more reliable when I turn the key???
06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Post by 06Suparu »

My guess would be that either the fuel pump is weak or there is a fuel leak somewhere. If the leak is small enough it will just bleed off the pressure when its not running. You should check the fuel pressure and start there.
cgrab
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by cgrab »

The Baja spent two days at eh shop and they could not duplicate the fault and so I have it back. I have adopted a new starting routine. I turn the key and listen for the pump twice before I start it. I have not had any issues since adopting this method.

I am heading out on a 900 mile trip next week so wish me luck.
Ben Staad
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Ben Staad »

Best of luck!
cgrab wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:14 am The Baja spent two days at eh shop and they could not duplicate the fault and so I have it back. I have adopted a new starting routine. I turn the key and listen for the pump twice before I start it. I have not had any issues since adopting this method.

I am heading out on a 900 mile trip next week so wish me luck.
cgrab
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by cgrab »

An update...it appears the problem was operator error. At least it hasn't manifested itself since I changed my starting routine. I had tried to start the Baja the same way I started my last truck-which was to pump the pedal to push fuel into the carburetor via the accelerator pump and then hold the pedal down while turning the key. Of course, the Baja has none of that so foot on the brake and turn the key. It has worked since I left Alabama and moved to WV two weeks ago.