Double din double the confusion

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

scoobynewby
Scoobytruck Lurker

Double din double the confusion

Post by scoobynewby »

I’m looking at getting a double din and slapping on a back up camera. Can’t really seem to find much except the original one posted here but the link to amazon is a dead end.

I found this one that I would pair with this camera from crutchfield. Struggling to figure out if it’s gonna fit. 03 Baja non turbo automatic.

Please go easy on me this is my first post!

https://m.visions.ca/#!/home-productdet ... ctId=51570

https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_249CUB15/Crux-CUB-15.html
Ben Staad
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Double din double the confusion

Post by Ben Staad »

Don't know squat about units but I will be happy to just stalk around, lurk, and see if you get any replies.

I'm very old school and love my six + 1 CD changer but have been seeing about a nav system for my 03' with an option to keep a CD changer.

Good luck in the search and welcome to the forum.
STEVEW
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by STEVEW »

I put one of these in mine. it bolted right in without needing any adapter kits. I would get a wiring harness adapter though. You will have to trim the inside of the dash bezel though for it to fit around the screen. It's camera compatible too.
https://www.amazon.com/ACOUSTIK-CP-650- ... B0792R4D4N
backtosubie
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by backtosubie »

Tagging along this old post but wanted to ask if anybody has the dimensions of the entire opening for the radio including the small storage compartment under. I'm thinking of installing a Tesla style head unit with Torque Pro app android app to monitor oil pressure, boost, etc. Thank you for your help.
180657017_10221548626797619_1216766573496706506_n.jpg
180657017_10221548626797619_1216766573496706506_n.jpg (27.22 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
Attachments
61+et4X8bZL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
61+et4X8bZL._AC_SL1001_.jpg (56.81 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
SupeRoo Baja
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by SupeRoo Baja »

There is a pretty good write up about adding reverse camera and such here:

viewtopic.php?t=2937

Adding a Dual DIN head unit to the Baja is pretty easy, the internal bracket will match right up with no issues. Get a wire adapter for the stock unit to the type of head unit you want, or you will have to do some wiring. A small amp will even fit behind the head unit. I currently have the BOSS head unit and 500w bluetooth amp stuck behind it. I removed the storage box with the closing lid, and left the open storage box under the Dual DIN. Side Note: When installing a head unit, especially with an amp, use clean battery power and use the SAME ground on all items. Will help with any engine whine. (try not to induce ground loops)

Wiring in the reverse camera; you will need to take apart the tailgate backplate, the sidewall of the bed, bed rail, and the bodypannel with the pass-thru. I used some flexible wire loom to cover the exposed wire from the tailgate to the bed. There is a grommet you can snake the wires into the cab in the corners of the bed under all of this. Once inside, you have to remove the interior side cladding (the one covering the struts). Now, if you come in on the Drivers side, you can proly fit a wire up through w/out removing the panel since you can gain access w/ the spare jack removed. Route the wire under the Rear Seat, along front and rear door plates, then up into the dash. If you plan to include any exterior power options, or reverse camera override, now would be a good time to run a few extra wires with your camera.. you can attach them later with relays and all that.. just getting the wires outside is the pain.

On installing a touch-screen panel. Can be done, the dimensions of the opening are not square, so you would have to create a backplate to cover holes, or cut out the bezel to be squared up.
Also, the temp control is cable actuated, so you cannot make it digital w/out adding solenoids etc. Switches/mode is electric activated so you could do that w/ some programming/wiring.