New to Subarus but just bought a Baja. Looking for info on the AWD system and diffs.

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Ih8Hondas
Scoobytruck Lurker

New to Subarus but just bought a Baja. Looking for info on the AWD system and diffs.

Post by Ih8Hondas »

Bought a 2006 turbo manual yesterday. 208k miles on the body, but it's in great shape considering its age. No rust anywhere and it looks the only seat that ever got used was the driver's. 20k on the clutch and 10k on the engine. Runs and shifts great. Feels like the synchros have almost no wear. Tracks straight. Steering and suspension are tight. Going to get poly bushings and a brass bushed u-joint thing to tighten the sloppy shifter up and probably a delrin knob as well to replace the old, worn stocker.

The one thing that I question about it is drivetrain noise. Cruising at highway speeds there's what sounds to me like a slight gear whine that's just loud enough to be noticeable. I'm not too worried about that (though it is kind of annoying). For all I know it could be normal. I've never owned a Subaru before so I'm not familiar with all of the quirks of the drivetrain like I am with Jeeps (my family has had more Jeeps than I care to count; I've owned two of them and done a lot of tinkering on them).

The thing I'm more concerned about is what is apparently gear noise when engine braking. It's pretty noticeable, and I assume it will need correcting. The dealer said he had a mechanic install a new ring and pinion in one of the diffs (I'd have to look at the receipt to remember which one), so I wonder if they just didn't get the lash set right or something and that's what's causing it. It's quiet under load and when cruising (except for that slight whine in 5th). Just gets loud off throttle. Loud enough to be a bit embarassing when rolling up to a red light.

Or like I said, for all I know it could be totally unrelated to the axle diffs and could be something to do with the awd system. So if anyone can enlighten me here I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
2006 Turbo 5spd in Atlantic Pearl Blue
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Re: New to Subarus but just bought a Baja. Looking for info on the AWD system and diffs.

Post by ZUBAJA »

Your FRONT diff has a dip stick to check fluid level. It is where the starter would be if the starter were on the passenger side. A lot easier to get to if you remove the air cleaner box (just remembered - you have a turbo). It is a yellow handle. Front diff is a separate fluid from the tranny fluid. The rear diff, you have to check the old fashioned way.
"AWD system" should only be any kind of issue when cornering - and really should not be making noise. It is basically a fluid like coupling between the front and rear drives (inside tail shaft of tranny). There IS a driveshaft carrier bearing between the front and rear. A noise being made as you come ot ao stop is something to be concerned about and checked out. Dennis
Ih8Hondas
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: New to Subarus but just bought a Baja. Looking for info on the AWD system and diffs.

Post by Ih8Hondas »

Figured it was pretty unlikely to be anything to do with the center diff. Didn't relize there was dipstick for the front or that it had a separate lube supply from the trans. I was assuming that would have been a shared setup like in a fwd car. Will definitely check that out. There's a shop close to me that specializes in Subarus, so if the fluid level is good I'll probably be giving them a call. I can DIY a lot of things (I grew up on a farm and have been wrenching on things since I was eight), but I lack the special tools to do things like set lash or pinion depth in a diff.
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

Zubaja's talking about automatic transmissions. Your Manual transmission has one dipstick, and only one fluid type (gear oil, no ATF) for the transmission.
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
Ih8Hondas
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Ih8Hondas »

Ok. That makes more sense. I did check the fluid and it was in the normal range, though it gave me a bit of a scare when I first pulled the dipstick because it was so clear and clean I couldn't tell there was any on it until I wiped it with my fingers. Re-stuck it and held it up to the light to confirm the level. Taking to a Subaru shop next friday.