New member with "new" Baja

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

geoffreydean
Scoobytruck Lurker

New member with "new" Baja

Post by geoffreydean »

Wasn't looking but found this low mileage 2003 beauty with 48,000 miles. Looks like it was never driven.

Questions for Baja Vets:
  • I just removed the plastic factory rock guard thing to change the oil. If I never plan on going off-road, does the car need this? Does it help keep the engine cleaner or direct cooling air or anything?
  • The car has the cute factory radio/CD player. I see Amazon has a Bluetooth adapter but it will only work with Subaru radios with Aux input. Would it be easy to find a used Subaru upgraded aux-input radio on eBay that would pretty much just plugin to my existing wire harness?
  • Is the idle speed adjustable or is it computer controlled? Once the engine is good and warmed up, it seems to idle just a hair on the low side
  • The car has obviously done a lot of sitting. From what I see on CarFax, it looks like 12,000 miles in the past 10 years. The owner, now deceased, had years of health issues. Would it be prudent to change auto transmission and transfer case fluids? I figured I'd flush the radiator and change brake fluid. My mechanic is going to put on a new timing belt even though the mileage is well below 100,000 miles. At 16 years old, it would probably be wise. Anything else?
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: New member with "new" Baja

Post by mike-tracy »

Hi, you want to keep that plastic lower guard on for aerodynamic reasons. Your MPGs will take a noticeable hit without it.

If you really want to keep an OEM stereo in there, you can use newer ones as long as they use the same plug. Subaru kept the plug the same for many years, but in recent (not sure when) times changed it. Personally I just get a scosche wiring harness adaptor and install an aftermarket unit. Currently I am running both an Alpine CDE-HD147BT and CDE-HD149BT, those have everything I need and then some. Bluetooth, hd radio, USB, aux in, good displays, etc. I do wish there was a compatible OEM radio with weatherband and Bluetooth, however.

The idle is both adjustable and computer controlled. The autos run a lower idle than manuals from my experience. If you adjust the idle, there's a possibility your car could die at every stoplight since the computer could freak out and overcompensate. I would recommend not touching the adjustment unless you are having an issue like that.

I would recommend replacing the transmission fluid, and front and rear differential oils. You're absolutely right that age affects consumables such as oils and belts, as well as mileage. I think you're on the right track. I haven't found that one type of ATF works better than another in a good running transmission on these cars. On a trans on its last legs, there's expensive fluids that can keep it alive longer, but the best practice is to replace the fluids according to the schedules in the owners manual, or sooner.
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

I wouldn't loose any sleep over removing the "under engine deflector". Realistically, I doubt you could even calculate any fuel consumption increase from NOT having it. I've removed them from all of my Subarus (7 now) that had one when I got them. It makes servicing and engine work easier.
If you were doing a lot of off roading where there was high brush, or lots of sand, I might say keep it. Likewise, if you are concerned about "completely original stock". For a daily driver, not necessary. Most of the trucks and vehicles in the fleet I service have them, and I wish I could do away with them, but in my case (a lot of beach driving), they are probably a necessary evil. They sure are a pain to R&R on each oil change.
I do agree on the replacement of fluids. 48K on an 03 is a rare find. Congrats. Dennis
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

I get between 1-2 mpg less without the deflector, when driving all highway. But I calculate my MPG's every pit stop. If you do exclusively in town driving, I'm with you, there's no benefit.
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

The under tray is also there for cooling reasons. It prevents hot air from recirculating through the rad/fans when stopped. that being said, if the bumper's intact, there's enough ducting in there it shouldn't be a critical problem. neither of my Bajas have ever had them. (and the mileage of both is lackluster but that's not the only factor)

The idle is NOT adjustable. You can fiddle with the throttle cable and fight the ECU but the ECU will try to compensate. You would be better served by cleaning out the throttle body and idle control valve and doing a tune up. I agree they do idle low for the idling torque-weight ratio (I drive like a diesel: add clutch till the PRMs dip then add gas. Not the best strategy with so little torque at idle). On my turbo I bumped it up a few hundred rpm in the ECU and it's MUCH better.

Yes, you need to address ALL the fluids, hoses, belts, etc. I've seen more cars ruined by sitting than daily driving. Everything has both a mileage and a time interval for maintenance, the LESSER interval always wins. IE if it says 6 months or 6k miles, if you drive 1k miles in 6 months, it's still time to do the service.

Brake fluid in particular will absorb moisture from the air as it sits (even the best sealed system isn't 100% sealed) which degrades the fluid and can lead to rust in the lines.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back