New Buy

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Fred Cowan
Scoobytruck Lurker

New Buy

Post by Fred Cowan »

I have just bought a 2004 Subaru Baja Turbo (Paint fair, interior and body/bone good) but needed much work way beyond my age and skill level. Dealer repairs too costly and usual local shops I trust not knowledgeable enough of Subaru, especially turbos. I had Agile Automotive Performance https://www.agileauto.com/ more dedicated Subaru shop, they race them, rebuild the engine with new short block, new turbocharger and full custom exhaust and tune (one year12,000 mile warrant). Upgrades on pipes and tune saved some money over stock parts and gave more reliability and performance. Shop was very efficient on labor majority costs in parts but as I expected more in repairs than I paid for it. What would be the $ worth of this Baja? Just curious how far I am underwater, also expected, on this unicorn. No matter, I plan to drive it and enjoy it long-term, until It or I gives up the ghost.
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: New Buy

Post by harleyjohn45 »

Fred hopefully it will be good, They do drive and handle nicely.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

How long is a piece of string?

Not knowing what engine was put in, what turbo, what exhaust, quality of work, color, miles, condition, rust, area, or even the transmission there's no way to know how much it's worth. Somewhere between 4k and 10k would be my guess.

Sounds like you're new to modded cars so I'll give you a bit of advice: if it isn't stock, you're under water on it. Mods are valued at about 1/10 or even negative for resale unless it's nice enough to take to barret-jackson or you manage to find someone that wants exactly what you've done and trusts you did it right.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
Fred Cowan
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Fred Cowan »

10K close to mark on price repairs. I paid a bit too much for a Baja needing this much work and repairs always cost a bit more at a good shop with reliable warranty such as Agile. I am in for about 20K. Baja has no visible rust, color red and silver. I have owned one other "classics" 1994 RX7 and admittedly have little experience, too damn dependent on the kindness and skill of others. I have always sought out an experience quality shop to make repairs. The Baja engine and turbocharger is stock, only pipes and related tuning slightly modified, to keep down costs and up reliability just a bit. Yes, if I sold it I would eat a few thousand. I expect to do diligent maintenance and some other repairs down the road. Drive it and care for it, I will hopefully get much pleasure and maintain some good resale value to cushion costs. So far the Baja is almost as most much fun as the RX7 and lot more utility. It kind of grows on you and may end up my number one. Other passions have cost much more.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Setting up the car you want or just modding for a bit of power seldom makes sense financially but that only matters if you sell it. I'd rather measure the car's value in miles and smiles.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
mike-tracy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mike-tracy »

Smiles per gallon! Heck yeah
1992 Legacy SS, 5mt and heavily modified
2000 Impreza RSTi Coupe
2003 Baja, H6 and Dual Range 5mt swap
Fred Cowan
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Fred Cowan »

Yes Sirs

Thank You, Miles & smiles is the best life's measure. At 71 I can appreciate the only investment someone cannot lose is the good time you already had. I once learned to fly a helicopter, makes boats and cars look like a very good investment. Lycoming aviation engines are boxers with pricing on steroids. For a man of not much means I have had and am still at the party.

Hope to meet you on the road with a smile on my face.