2005 NA intake piping

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

2005 NA intake piping

Post by oldpro »

I've discovered a hole about 1.5" in diameter on the underside of the air intake piping. It's in the elbow that comes from the right-hand fender side and then points straight back to the next elbow that goes into the air cleaner housing. What am I missing? Did the PO cut off one of the resonators? Engine runs fine with that hole open sucking in hot engine compartment air, and with it taped shut causing the cold air intake to supply the air.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: 2005 NA intake piping

Post by Guacamole »

Probably the second resonator/crap collector. There's two in the intake pipe: the first is the big box right behind the intake "mouth" and a second oddly-shaped skinny one on the pipe right before the L pipe that connects to the air filter housing (highlighted in red below).
baja intake.JPG
baja intake.JPG (140.33 KiB) Viewed 4567 times
My 06 NA is missing this too, and nearly every other NA I've had the pleasure of peeping under the hood is missing it as well. I guess it's designed to auto-eject?
greymud
Scoobytruck Master

Post by greymud »

Missing on my 05, too. It's the drain so water doesn't make it to the carb.
05 NA 5MT
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by oldpro »

That makes a lot of sense; it's important to keep water out of the carb.... [smilie=boggl3y3dummy-ani.gif]
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

greymud wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:32 pm Missing on my 05, too. It's the drain so water doesn't make it to the carb.
What year is this?
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
macrunbaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by macrunbaja »

Yeah I didn't know what it was for either, and just assumed something was gone. The PO covered the hole and I followed suit in the tradition as his jerry rig cover was failing. Tuna can works fine :lol: