radio problems on a 2003 baja

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Steve
Scoobytruck Lurker

radio problems on a 2003 baja

Post by Steve »

Hi, My 2003 Baja radio only has sound coming out from the front door tweeters. I tried putting an aftermarket unit in it but it's still the same. Only the two tweeters work. Tried checking the wires and connections but nothing changed. My next step is to pull the door panel off and see if I have bad speakers. Before I do this I was wondering if anyone had any tips that might solve this problem. I'm new to this site and want to thank you for any light you can shed on this. Thanks again!

Steve
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: radio problems on a 2003 baja

Post by Guacamole »

Hey there. The stock speakers going bad is a common issue and is most likely your problem. They seem to go bad after close to a decade for... whatever reason- we haven't figured it out yet. Luckily the door panels and speakers are stupidly easy to remove and replace. Plus since the Baja is Gen-III Legacy-based, you can pull replacement door parts (including the stock speakers) from any 2000-2004 Legacy or Outback with no compatibility issues. New OEM speakers can still be bought for around $40-60/each.
Door panel removal guide: http://www.scoobytruck.com/pdf/Legacy_S ... pgrade.pdf
Steve
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: radio problems on a 2003 baja

Post by Steve »

Thank you so much for your help. I'll try replacing my speakers. have a great day!
Steve