Strut Spacer Experiences?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

FinnTheBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Strut Spacer Experiences?

Post by FinnTheBaja »

Hey folks,

I'm new to the Baja game (Just got a 2005 5spd turbo last week!)and I'm excited to get to work and make it my own. I have a few projects in mind and one includes putting 1" strut spacers on. Does anyone have any experience with this? Was it a real pain in the @$$? Would I be able to do it with jack stands vs using a lift? Will I be able to just put the spacers on the struts and not worry about messing anything else up?
Let me know your thoughts and experiences!

Cheers,
-Brad
sfeather11
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Strut Spacer Experiences?

Post by sfeather11 »

1" strut spacers are not that hard to install. A lift is not needed at all. A jack and stands will suffice. No other mods to the suspension are needed (or any other part of the vehicle). If you have the knowledge and can remove a strut, you can tackle the job. The hardest part is lining up the lower strut holes to get the bolt back in when reinstalling, which is a pain even without a spacer. Note that you will have to replace the studs at the top of the struts with 1" longer studs to accommodate the spacers. I'm not sure if most (or any) kits come with these or not. Other than that, you just remove the strut, change the studs, slap the spacer on top, reinstall and go. I made my own spacers out of ABS 6 or 7 years ago and replaced the studs with longer bolts. Never had a problem. It is a straightforward mod... Do it!

Peace! Scott
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Remember that you should bet it aligned afterwards. Height changes camber, camber changes toe, toe kills tires. Especially since the bolts that hold the front struts on set the front camber, even if you mark them they can be off. One of those you might be fine or you might not things, there's a bit of luck/chance involved.

If you don't know the age of the struts, it'd be a good idea to change them too while you're down there. The factory struts do last longer than many cars and the Bajas are spring stiff enough (and are usually lightly enough used) it isn't glaring if they're worn but they do need replacement from time to time.

As far as doing the job, other than swapping the studs and finagling the suspension back together, not hard at all.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
Baja Ben
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Baja Ben »

I had this same question but for the 2" spacers. Do y'all know if there is anything else required for the 2" lift?
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Baja Ben wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:05 am I had this same question but for the 2" spacers. Do y'all know if there is anything else required for the 2" lift?
Moves the alignment higher on the priority list. I don't think you're into axle red area but you're definitely working in the yellow range so budget for it.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back