Woodgrain Trim?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Outlawed
Scoobytruck Contributer

Woodgrain Trim?

Post by Outlawed »

Hi,
I'm new here. Just picked up an excellent 03 Baja non-turbo. Only 57K on it. Of course that peed off my neighbor whose been looking for one forever. I went with him to east Denver yesterday to look at an '05 turbo. I noticed it had a wood grain trim interior like my wife's '05 outback. It was in a used car lot. Dude wanted $10500 for it. He said it has new tires and turbo on it. 139K miles. Anyways, Does anyone know where I can get this trim that looks as good as the original?
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Woodgrain Trim?

Post by Guacamole »

The woodgrain trim is from a '00-'04 Legacy. Most of the Baja body & interior panels are the exact same as the Legacy & Outback, these include:
Entire dashboard & trim panels
Interior door panels & trim (front and back)
Hood panel
Headlights (4-band on 03 classic & 04-06 turbo only)

P.S. Congrats on the epic purchase & welcome to the club! There were no baja turbos produced in the 03 model year, only 'Classic' & 'Sport'. If yours is a classic, the mirrors and exterior door handles are colored to match the body, & features 4-band headlights. If it's a sport, the mirrors and door handles are unpainted flat-black, & the headlights are 2-band.
Outlawed
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Outlawed »

Thanks for the reply Guac. Guess that makes mine a classic. The rear storage compt between the seats is pretty scratched up. Prev owner let school kids with all their soccer junk sit back there. Guess I'll try a couple of dealers and see if they have a trim kit hidden in the attic or basement. I won't get my hopes up too high. Sure looked nice though.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Outlawed wrote:The rear storage compt between the seats is pretty scratched up.
Are you referring to this on the back seat?
2004-subaru-baja-sport-suv-rear-seat.png
2004-subaru-baja-sport-suv-rear-seat.png (481.15 KiB) Viewed 7546 times
The rear seats are Baja-exclusive are are not featured on any other model (to my knowledge). Only way to get a new/less scratched one is to pull it from a wrecked Baja, or do a DIY build.
Outlawed
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Outlawed »

Yep, that's the one. Just did a search and came up with Carid. They make interior trim for about everything. Even the 03 Baja. Dude quoted me $167 and some change for a complete interior kit. The pics look good. You can get real wood or synth. I will chose synth because it's a lot more durable and true to color than real wood. (plus a lot cheaper). Dude even gave me a military discount. That is def on my list. Probably my after Christmas list though :lol:
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

Go to ebay and get one for a 2000 legacy or outback I got mine for like 25 shipped because I wanted another cup holder (the cup holder sucks btw). Or you can wrap it with vinyl either yourself or have a shop do it. It is really easy and I can make a guide if you want to go that route.
Outlawed
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Outlawed »

Thx Rohr. But will it have a cover for the storage compt door between the two rear seats? That's my problem child at the moment.
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

I don't see why it wouldn't. I will wrap mine just for fun and see if there are any issues doing it. Gimme a few days to get it done
Outlawed
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Outlawed »

Kool! Doubt if I will order anything til after Christmas anyways. Pics would be nice when you finish.
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

I havent had much time but I wanted put put up something. Here is some pics of the console cover wrapped in black carbon fiber film. I will try and do the rest once I get some more film. I could also do a tutorial if you want but youtube has a million on vinyl wrapping.

Panel removed before cleaning:

Vinyl appled and mostly stretched out. I actually removed the vinyl and wet sanded the top because it had some deep scratches:

Back together:

The main body is going to be hard because I am not sure what to do about the cupholders. I may spray plastidip on it and just see how it looks.
Outlawed
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Outlawed »

Looks pretty clean. As for the cup holders, just get out a protractor, make a circle, cut it out, then use a hole punch to make a small center hole. Should look great. As for the top of that cup holder area, now that's another issue. Take your time and it'll work out o.k.
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

The problem with just cutting a hole is that you heat it up and it stretches so to go down the curve at the top of the cupholder it will be uneven. Also, this will catch every time you put something in there and cause the whole piece to not last very long