Re: Putting a turbo in 2003 baja base model

Post by starr- »

it is possible
I like it here.... [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

Dumb question. you can turbo anything. Just takes time, money, and skill. Any you lack you make up for with the other two.

Better questions might be:
How difficult is it to turbocharge my Baja to X HP?
How much would it cost to turbocharge my Baja to X HP paying someone to do it?
How reliable is the EJ251 turbocharged to X HP with the following supporting mods?
What other work would need to be done to turbocharge my Baja to X HP?
Why isn't it a good idea to just throw on one of those ebay turbo kits that say 500hp for $1000?

My questions to you are:
What's your budget?
What's your skill level?
How will the car be used?
What are you expectations power-wise?
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

I was told it would be cheaper to find a compatible turbocharged engine and swap the whole thing. Something about all the little differences between the turbo/non-turbo. But I am coming from have someone else do the whole thing. Either way you are looking at some serious cash (3-6k depending on who and where does the work) so be prepared for that. At least thats what I found looking around. I was told that unless I love my car it would be better to sell mine and get one with a turbo already. Not saying this is correct or even the best way to do it, but it is what I found looking into this myself.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

w.rohr wrote:I was told it would be cheaper to find a compatible turbocharged engine and swap the whole thing. Something about all the little differences between the turbo/non-turbo. But I am coming from have someone else do the whole thing. Either way you are looking at some serious cash (3-6k depending on who and where does the work) so be prepared for that. At least thats what I found looking around. I was told that unless I love my car it would be better to sell mine and get one with a turbo already. Not saying this is correct or even the best way to do it, but it is what I found looking into this myself.
Yes and no. The turbo engine wiring and computer are different than 03 NA. little things like the throttle by wire vs mechanical throttle that will require rewiring the interior as well. There are various mechanical differences and reasons why the EJ251 is not a good platform for upping the power, but swapping the engine and electronics won't exactly be a cakewalk either.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back