Vinyl Wrapped or Painted Interior Trim Thread

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Vinyl Wrapped or Painted Interior Trim Thread

Post by starr- »

This thread is intended to be used as a reference for those interested in cleaning up their worn out interior plastics by painting, 3M wrapping, sticker bombing... you name it.

If you have done this already... Share what you did!

My attempt at 3M wrapping:

This is a pretty easy job and would take you a couple hours to do the sections that I did. I would recommended getting double the amount wrapping material you think you would need. I went with a 2x5ft (supposedly 1x5ft works too?) sheet of Brushed Black Metallic from amazon that cost 40$ shipped. Be sure to have a hair dryer or heat gun on hand and make sure to use heat in moderation.

1 year UPDATE: holding up great. Still looks the same as it did a year ago

Helpful link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31suApPTAEk

I like it here.... [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Vinyl Wrapped or Painted Interior Trim Thread

Post by bajaguy »

I've always toyed with the idea of wrapping the interior trim. Like $20 you could do the whole thing easy. But I've always wondered how you would do the window switches on the door panels. The driver's one is the one I'd really like to cover...someone replaced it in the past with a repainted LLbean tan outback one...which is all peeling. Then again, I could go full 90s and paint it body color.
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

bajaguy wrote:I've always toyed with the idea of wrapping the interior trim. Like $20 you could do the whole thing easy. But I've always wondered how you would do the window switches on the door panels. The driver's one is the one I'd really like to cover...someone replaced it in the past with a repainted LLbean tan outback one...which is all peeling. Then again, I could go full 90s and paint it body color.
Well for 20$ most the vinyl rolls are only 1ft wide which isn't enough to cover the radio surround... so unfortunately that seems to make us stuck with getting a 2ft wide roll. As for the window switch trim... Pretty sure it would be too difficult to vinyl wrap where the switches dip down as the material would fold and crease really bad. I was planning on doing mine with gunmetal metallic spray paint with a flat clear coat (same as what I have around the climate controls).
Outlawed
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Outlawed »

I thought about buying the sheet material, but IMO it spells disaster and wasted money. So I went to CARid. They have some great looking packages. I spoke to a rep named Jeremy at 800-505-3274 X8994 and he offered a $180.00 full kit (shipping extra) for $169. shipping included. Kinda pricey, but if I have to look at it and have others grade/critique it, my wife first and foremost, I say go for the best. Just sayin [smilie=noeyedear-shrugging.gif]
Try this link:

https://www.carid.com/remin/platinum-bu ... a-spw.html
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

Outlawed wrote:I thought about buying the sheet material, but IMO it spells disaster and wasted money. So I went to CARid. They have some great looking packages. I spoke to a rep named Jeremy at 800-505-3274 X8994 and he offered a $180.00 full kit (shipping extra) for $169. shipping included. Kinda pricey, but if I have to look at it and have others grade/critique it, my wife first and foremost, I say go for the best. Just sayin [smilie=noeyedear-shrugging.gif]
Try this link:

https://www.carid.com/remin/platinum-bu ... a-spw.html
Nice advertisement man. haha
So its safe to assume you have had bad luck working with 3M vinyl products in the past then?
Outlawed
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Outlawed »

LOL! It wasn't meant as an advertisement. Just a where to get it if you want it. I'm sure there are more suppliers out there.
I tried a vinyl stick on years ago and it was a waste of not too much money. Stuff peeled off quickly around the edges leaving a gooey mess to clean up. Haven't gone back since. I'm hoping this stuff will be different. Worth a try anyways.
Outdoor_funguy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Outdoor_funguy »

"In my opinion, vinyl wrap is much more practical and gives awesome look to your car. My vinyl wrap project was installed by Gatorwraps and I am very satisfied. You might also want to check out Gatorprints. :D
"
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

Here is my first wrap of the center piece. I actually did it with 12" so it is possible to do without resorting to 24". I had to pull this off as the mod I did to fit the radio looks really bad. I am planning on redoing it this weekend and will post another pic