Rubber Vs. Polyurethane Bushings

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

BrotherBroja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Rubber Vs. Polyurethane Bushings

Post by BrotherBroja »

I've recently discovered that all of my control arm bushings need replacement, and I'm wondering if there's a polyurethane alternative to the oem rubber bushings that would make the fit to a baja. Perhaps STI bushings for an older model? Has anyone else looked into this? Hoping to replace them in the next week or two so a quick response would be much appreciated :D :D
Bajahorse24
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Rubber Vs. Polyurethane Bushings

Post by Bajahorse24 »

I have not replaced mine on the Baja, however I do know from other vehicles that the poly ones last longer. Also if your doing those get a good look at all the other components as well (ball joints, tie rod ends, ect) since your removing them anyway. I've done control arm work before on an older truck and had to leave it sitting because it needed other things :/

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Rubber Vs. Polyurethane Bushings

Post by kamesama980 »

PolyUrethane bushings CAN last longer in some situations. Keep in mind the bushings are there to accomodate motion and where the rubber bushings flex, PU slides. Many times if you have stock springs/shocks the normal (stock) level of suspension articulation while driving wears out the PU bushings faster. PU excels where you have limited articulation in the system but the rubber bushings are allowing the whole system to flex relative to the body. There are a lot of factors that go into longevity of PU bushings including the actual hardness, finish of the surface it rides in, lubrication, geometry, amount of movement/articulation, load, on and on.

Not saying it won't work or they won't last but it's a potential problem and consideration.

For example, I would do a LOT of suspension work to my firebird before putting poly bushings on it even though I autocross it. In front, because hard acceleration lifts the front to almost full droop (cuz muscle car) while braking darn near hits the bump stops (not to mention body roll). That's even with WS6 springs and SLP-valved Bilstein shocks. In back I wouldn't because of how the suspension works: 2 control arms on the live axle: when the axle twists along the car's long axis (body roll) the bushings have to twist. PU bushings in that application without hardcore springs and sway bars are known to bind...till they give up and split. Heck, the control arms themselves are designed to be weak in torsion to be more accommodating to body roll rather than breaking stuff. Not so much bad design as it is purpose built rather than a jack-of-all-trades-master-none comprimise.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back