Installation help for OEM hard type bed cover

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Installation help for OEM hard type bed cover

Post by canuck37 »

Hello:
I just purchased an OEM hard type bed cover from the owner of a 2006, who replaced it with an ARE cap. I think I have all the bits and pieces, bolts, etc. but have a few questions regarding installing it on my 2003 Baja. On his vehicle, there appear to be a couple of large (+/- 1" did.) hole through the plastic bedliner just to the rear of the chrome "roll" bars that a pivot pin/bolt goes into. These holes allow access to a threaded hole in the metal behind the plastic, that these pivot pins thread into.

My question is this: On my bed, are these threaded holes there behind the plastic bedliner or am I going to be having to do some modifications?? I'm hesitant to drill into the bedliner to find out if the threaded ones are lurking behind, so thought someone on here might have had the same question and/or taken off the plastic cladding on an '03 and might have noticed these. Any help there???

I have a similar question regarding the mounting hole for the metal stud that the latch locks onto, midway along the tailgate. Again, his had a threaded insert behind the plastic cladding.

I'm fairly sure I can figure out the rest of the mechanical issues on how to get it all to fit together, but these are the initial questions I'd like to know the answer to before getting too far into it....Otherwise, it looks like the unit will fit the bed, etc. alright. I was never sure if it was an actual option on the earlier models....

Thanks for the help!!