What did you do to your Baja today?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

What did you do to your Baja today?

Post by jaxed »

I'll start - I replaced the dash cluster. Long story here, I managed to crack the trip/odometer LCD when replacing a bulb a few months ago. The bulb broke in the hole and my method of fishing out the glass with a screwdriver was destructive. (hint: if it happens to you, vacuum out the glass, don't try to "pin it" with a flat head to get it out). Anyway, I ordered a replacement dash cluster with close to the same mileage as my car (I have 72k, the new cluster had 75k). Got the new cluster, and realized I ordered one for an automatic. GRRRR. It might have worked, but I found another cluster for a 5 speed non-turbo that was supposed to have 70k on the odometer. Or course, I plug it in and it shows 82k! GRRRRR! So then I'm thinking maybe between the three clusters I have I can take a good LCD screen from one and put in my original cluster. But then I got tired and just threw in the 82k cluster and will figure out if I care enough to put my original back in later.

I also replaced my window switch with the Nissan Sentra version that has auto up and down on driver and passenger.

I also found some original Subaru 2004 Outback rubber floor mats to replace my well-worn ones.

So that's what I did today. ;)
Thatrobbguy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: What did you do to your Baja today?

Post by Thatrobbguy »

Image wasn't today but I found 2 h6 LLBEANS at my local yard and scored a steering wheel then replaced all my silver trim with black +5 pts for adding the cup holder as well :) oh and ps the brat bed seats fit real nice Image
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

(Last week): Had to jump-start my buddy who drives a Chevy V8 diesel, because I'm the only guy around, killed my battery but now I have a genuine Subie battery instead of a cheap wal-mart one, yay me.
Finally found the leak in my exhaust, of course it's under the heat shield right on the catalytic converter pipe, $1200 part or $50 welding job at a store 200 miles away, so F@#% it. Only hear it when I'm accelerating at low speeds anyway.

(Today): Drove to go see Hacksaw Ridge (great movie by the way) and almost got rear-ended by a drunk driver at a stoplight.

Not much else. My Baja has a pretty boring life. :?

Oh & I got a killer Impreza chew toy from my last maintenance visit to the local Subie dealership that is now sitting on my Baja's dash.
(pics here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=392&start=60)
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Picked up some used Bilstein shock/spring/mount assemblies from a Legacy GT as a souvenir from Japan about a month ago for $55USD, and finally got some time to start installing them yesterday. Only had time to do the fronts, because I found the inner CV boot finally cracked open, so the time I would have spent on the rears was spent doing that... oh well, it was something that needed to be done, anyway.
Attachments
IMG_1139.JPG
IMG_1139.JPG (185.03 KiB) Viewed 532352 times
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

First of 3 light bars installed! [smilie=666.gif]
DSCN1219.JPG
DSCN1219.JPG (159.73 KiB) Viewed 531685 times
DSCN1220.JPG
DSCN1220.JPG (175.74 KiB) Viewed 531685 times
Other two installed!
DSCN1232.JPG
DSCN1232.JPG (318.3 KiB) Viewed 531655 times
Special thanks to Bajaguy for tips & info!
Last edited by Guacamole on Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rglass1040
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by rglass1040 »

Last Sunday I was hoping to install new rear struts and a 1" lift all around. Didn't go as planned. Took 2 hours of soaking in PB Blaster and a 5' cheater to get the lower bolts loose on the rear struts. Was able to get the rears done but I think I need to disassemble again since it has loud rattle clink noise. Probably need to tighten the top nut on the stud to compress springs fully.
Rich
'06 Baja, Black, 1" Lift, 215/65 Generals
'18 Crosstrek, Sunshine Orange
Mattiator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Mattiator »

Had a lovely day at the junkyard, got a bunch of replacement bits for my Baja, have been working all evening plunking everything in. Replaced the rear driver-side speaker, got all three climate control illumination lights working again, even found a (mostly) complete set of interior black plastic trim from a Legacy, which I'm trying out now to see how they look. Will probably swing by tomorrow to see if I can find the last bits of trim I need for a full black interior and maybe some more spare bulbs. Might even have time before sleeping tonight to finally fix the bed cover. Here's a crap cellphone pic of the interior stack now: Image
bobjr94
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bobjr94 »

Got this at auction 2 weeks ago for $3800 with a bad clutch.
IMG_20170915_131525 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20170915_131525 (Medium).jpg (322.64 KiB) Viewed 531633 times
So far put a clutch in it, catless up-pipe, fixed an oil leak from the right valve cover and oil cooler, tires, then put in a Pioneer touch screen. Tomorrow is an underseat subwoofer, then next week swapping the steering wheel for a smaller impreza wheel.
IMG_20170924_175736 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20170924_175736 (Medium).jpg (215.71 KiB) Viewed 531633 times
IMG_20170930_225050 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20170930_225050 (Medium).jpg (216.14 KiB) Viewed 531633 times
Ralpheal316
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Ralpheal316 »

Nice work looks great so far.
Mattiator
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Mattiator »

Added OEM Tweeters! Really makes the high end sound a bit better. I think I just got in a replacement fog light assembly to fix my cracked one.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Well, this happened.
DSCN1339.JPG
DSCN1339.JPG (517.09 KiB) Viewed 531257 times
DSCN1340.JPG
DSCN1340.JPG (532.76 KiB) Viewed 531257 times
Took me 2 hours to pry off everything behind the cat. Sadly I couldn't get anything bigger than a hacksaw blade under there, & I actually had to cut the hangers off on the muffler. Amazing how the pipes are perfectly fine, but the flanges & bolts are completely shot.
$2,600 for a brand-new Baja exhaust, $1,121 for a brand-new Gen-3 Legacy exhaust. Gonna see if my used parts guy can find a replacement from a Legacy.

Image THANKS MARYLAND SHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQggo3AfP30

EDIT: Driving to my parts guy today I spotted 3 other lost exhaust parts on the side of the road. I swear SHA uses road salt like Old Bay.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Well, after 5 hours in the cold I got the exhaust fixed. The original bolts were toast but the flanges were still good... sort of. So I just braced them with two more flanges and longer bolts each. Had to saw off the rubber hangers in order to pull the exhaust, so I got beefier ones. As a result, the muffler hangs about an inch lower than stock. Overall the fix was around $100.
redneck_fix_baja_exhaust_collage.jpg
redneck_fix_baja_exhaust_collage.jpg (1008.96 KiB) Viewed 531223 times
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Finally caught a break in the rain to put in the new headlight housings!
DSCN14221.jpg
DSCN14221.jpg (462.87 KiB) Viewed 530196 times
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

Shifter started getting sloppy. Got so bad this morning that I had to twist it to get 1st and 2nd gears. Took it all out and found the bushings in the lever gone. I had already rebushed the universal joint shortly after i got the Baja). Modified some brass bushings to fit and all is now tight and fun to drive again. :D Dennis
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Installed a new catback exhaust. Originally went with a Walker midpipe and Bosal muffler, but the Walker pipe arrived full of unfinished welds with 1/2in holes. So now it's a full Bosal catback.
DSCN1472.JPG
DSCN1472.JPG (188.2 KiB) Viewed 529271 times
My baja is so quiet now!!!
Manifold still leaks but it's nowhere near as bad as the flex joint leak was. Now we'll just have to wait and see if it makes it through a salty MD winter.