56%
No
44%

Total votes: 25

cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Subaru Baja: Heaviest tailgate ever?

Post by cyphergirl »

Just something that I was thinking about last night as I was unloading groceries.... :lol:
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Re: Subaru Baja: Heaviest tailgate ever?

Post by jaxed »

cyphergirl wrote:Just something that I was thinking about last night as I was unloading groceries.... :lol:
You are right.. compared to my Chevy Luv, the Baja tailgate is like pure lead.
bajanut
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bajanut »

I am not sure why the tailgate is so heavy, I have taken the bed liner off of it and there isn't anything there to make it extra heavy. It just must be the steal they make it with.
---------------
Ben
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I don't know if its the heaviest one out there. But it sure feels like it for its size. Maybe when I'm bored I should weigh it. Seems like it must weigh as much as a fullsize truck, though. Mike
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

The tailgate? On the Baja? Wow...seems pretty light to me...maybe because of the Bronco tailgate weighing a ton....
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

Dosen't seem that bad to me, but I used to own a suburban with a power window gate that had a busted helper spring. That thing was brutal to open or close.

Bob
Baja_Turbo

Post by Baja_Turbo »

That heavy tailgate might come in handy one day when someone decides to rear end you.
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

Most likely its just a thick steel.

Both my brats have dents in the tailgates because they are super thin and lite. Sure I can near carry the gate with a finger which is nice, but while sanding my street brats gate, I accidentally dented the gate and had to pop it back out! Too thin for my taste... Hopefully when I finally get a baja I find that the panels dont dent that easy.

So... its thick to be dent resistant is my answer.
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
TurboBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by TurboBaja »

I certainly thought it was heavy, but then again I do not worry about it when I sit/stand/jump on it. I am happy that it is nice and durable. However, I do not understand why the hood is so heavy! Gotta find an aluminum or CF hood one of these days :wink:
ScreaminMimi
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by ScreaminMimi »

I think they expected a lot of tailgate sitting... bottoms up! It holds 666 lbs. doesn't it so if the load is longer, and sits on the gate it can handle the weight.
'78 Brat Stock 4 sp.
Ford Chrome Yellow/Red Decals
'86 Brat - T-tops, low topper - primer grey
'05 Baja Turbo 5 sp.
Monterey Silver/Brilliant Silver
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Yes, the 600+ pounds you can put on the gate is nice. I was loading 100 pound propane cylinders in the back of my Baja last November. I kept setting them on the gate to get them in the box. The guy at the propane place was concerned that it wouldn't take the weight!! I told him it was good for over 600 pounds. He was amazed. Mike
BoostedBaja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BoostedBaja »

Ya know, just this past weekend the tailgate bit my father in law as we were heading to out for a round of golf. He ended up wit a slight cut and a little bruise. I was shocked at the weight the first couple of times I lowered it.....

I've been around a lot of pick-up trucks/hatch backs/ wagons, and I have to think this is the heaviest I've ever encountered.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Ya got to watch it and not drop it, as it will do some damage to you. But at least I never have to worry about sitting on it, or putting something heavy on it. Just like a fullsize truck. Mike
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by jaxed »

Not to keep beating a dead horse.. but... LOL

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Dr ... eId=101048

As an odd side note, we noticed that the small tailgate on the Subaru Baja's baby-sized bed was much heavier and felt like it was lined with lead compared to the full-size F-150's.
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

jaxed wrote:Not to keep beating a dead horse.. but... LOL

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Dr ... eId=101048

As an odd side note, we noticed that the small tailgate on the Subaru Baja's baby-sized bed was much heavier and felt like it was lined with lead compared to the full-size F-150's.
Yay, I'm not crazy afterall!