CVT Tranny

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

BrotherBroja
Scoobytruck Lurker

CVT Tranny

Post by BrotherBroja »

Anyone ever thought of swapping a CVT Transmission into their Baja? How would it compare to an STI swap? Just probing :wink:
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Re: CVT Tranny

Post by anarchy1024 »

I haven't done it, but I'd guess unless you have either an aftermarket transmission management computer, or aftermarket engine management computer that can work with the stock Subaru CVT TCM, it won't work. You'd also need a drive-by-wire throttle. Of course, all this assuming it'll physically fit...
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

CVT = even mushier and less exciting than a conventional auto.
STI swap = 6 speed manual

Why is this even a question? Seriously though, what are YOUR goals since in my mind, these are polar opposite options.

*might* get slightly better mileage after you get all the electronic controls sorted out and tune the gear ratio curve to your engine but 2mpg improvement is going to take longer to pay off than the trans will last.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
BrotherBroja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BrotherBroja »

anarchy1024 wrote:I haven't done it, but I'd guess unless you have either an aftermarket transmission management computer, or aftermarket engine management computer that can work with the stock Subaru CVT TCM, it won't work. You'd also need a drive-by-wire throttle. Of course, all this assuming it'll physically fit...
I figured it'd need an extensive amount of modifications :roll:
BrotherBroja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BrotherBroja »

kamesama980 wrote:CVT = even mushier and less exciting than a conventional auto.
STI swap = 6 speed manual

Why is this even a question? Seriously though, what are YOUR goals since in my mind, these are polar opposite options.

*might* get slightly better mileage after you get all the electronic controls sorted out and tune the gear ratio curve to your engine but 2mpg improvement is going to take longer to pay off than the trans will last.
I'm just wondering about other tranny alternatives besides a STI 6 speed. I occasionally need to have a family member drive and hey, not everyone can drive a stick :| Is there anything to upgrade a 4 speed auto?
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

BrotherBroja wrote:I'm just wondering about other tranny alternatives besides a STI 6 speed. I occasionally need to have a family member drive and hey, not everyone can drive a stick :| Is there anything to upgrade a 4 speed auto?
So you just have the itch to spend money? Nothing cost effective to modify on a 4-speed auto, no. *Might* be able to firm up the shifts and put a manual controller but then you just dumped a grand into a 4 speed auto. You might be able to add a factory tiptronic/sport shift/ whatever subaru calls it but that'd be harness/computer swap stuff and my experience with them says they aren't worth the effort unless you really have a lot of money/energy to burn.

If it's just "on occasion" teach them to drive and tell them to suck it up. My wife has anxiety attacks about driving stick but on the occasion she's needed to drive something other than her Prius and she always surprises herself (self confidence issues so having done something before is totally irrelevant to being able to do it at the present :? ). Whole range of vehicles including my old 4 banger Toyota pickup with a 3.08 swapped in (zero power, super tall gears), v8 firebird (lots power/torque), and 5-speed swapped cressida (average power but touchy as hell).

If it's a medical issue (missing limb, destroyed joint, etc) then you're just screwed.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back