Odd request, picture of antenna please

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

TastyHuman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Odd request, picture of antenna please

Post by TastyHuman »

When I had the automatic transmission rebuilt in my Baja something happened that caused my radio reception to go bad. Now at best I can get one FM station. Maybe the antenna was disconnected or cut but repair shop said they do almost no work inside when rebuilding a transmission, and certainly nothing under the dash. I am unconvinced but since I rarely listen to the radio I don't really miss it.

Anyway, I took it to the dealer for a service and while it was there I asked them to check the radio antenna. They said "sure", and then called me later to say they wouldn't work on it since the antenna is an aftermarket antenna. Hmm? Sure looks factory, and it's certainly a factory radio.

Could someone please take a picture of your factory antenna and post it? A nice closeup of the antenna in the down position would do.

Thanks in advance!
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Odd request, picture of antenna please

Post by Guacamole »

Here ya go.
DSCN0776.JPG
DSCN0776.JPG (276.61 KiB) Viewed 3582 times
03 Classic & 06 Sport have the same factory antenna.
TastyHuman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TastyHuman »

That is exactly the antenna that's on my Baja. Mechanic didn't know what he was talking about.

Did the antenna change from the oldest 2003 to the newest 2005/6 model years? Did the Baja ever get a roof mount antenna? Maybe he was expecting a different kind of factory antenna.

I really appreciate the pic, thanks a lot!
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

The 03 Classics & Sport models (all years) share the exact same antenna, but the Turbo Bajas have a roof-mounted antenna at the end of the cabin. maybe they've only seen the Turbo variant. It looks like this:
Baja04turboantenna1.JPG
Baja04turboantenna1.JPG (22.88 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
TastyHuman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TastyHuman »

Thanks for the info and the pics!

Next time I'm there I'll inform the service advisor of the issue. Surprising how often the owners know more than the dealers.