2005 Baja non turbo to turbo

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

johnep
Scoobytruck Lurker

2005 Baja non turbo to turbo

Post by johnep »

I have a 2005 Baja base that I want to swap a turbo set up in. I know the 05 baja and outback motors are not the same. What years Subaru model would be the best/easiest to drop in? Anyone done this yet?? My motor has over 200 and has the rod knock so I need to do a replacement so the time to modify is near. Thanks in advance!
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: 2005 Baja non turbo to turbo

Post by Guacamole »

It is possible, people have done engine swaps. The 2000-2004 vehicle models are all similar & use the same basic engine, & the 05-06 Bajas use 03 engines.
See my other post here about this here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3099&p=17403

Also this guy did a 2010 WRX engine swap so it is possible with other models.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2531
johnep
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by johnep »

Thanks for the links. I need to be careful as it will need to pass inspection as a 2005. I am thinking of finding a 2005 outback or forester turbo and swapping everything over. Just not sure I shouldn't just swap mine with a normal motor and buying an 04-05 Baja turbo.
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

Inspection?? Are you just talking about DEQ? If so... you're overthinking it. Do more research.
Don't restrict yourself to 2005. Do some more homework on the ej motor (wikipedia is a good start) and learn more about subarus power plant before thinking of swapping. If you are planning on doing the swap yourself it will probably be apples and oranges for total cost. If you plan on paying someone to do it... fix your NA and buy yourself a turbo model.
I like it here.... [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]