Headlight Restoration Kits

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Headlight Restoration Kits

Post by jaxed »

Has anybody used this 3M kit or similar to restore foggy headlights?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WY ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm wondering if I should bother or just buy new units.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Headlight Restoration Kits

Post by Guacamole »

Bah, I used one of those kits once then threw it away- WORTHLESS! :x
Just use toothpaste & some washer fluid or Windex... not kidding it works. All you have to do is put some toothpaste on a paper towel (like double the amount you use to brush your teeth), rub it all over the headlight. Then get a spray bottle of Windex/glass cleaner or wiper fluid (fill an empty spray bottle up) & spray the toothpasty headlight with it. Then wipe it off with a clean paper towel & admire the gunk. Repeat until unfogged.
I did this with my own headlights & I swear by it. Doesn't come out exactly looking brand new, but it's a $5 fix.

P.S, I've also heard a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works well too, have not yet tested though.
DC Rally
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by DC Rally »

Hi,

I have the Meguires one, works really well. Has a circular pad you attach to your drill.

Don't forget, what your essentially doing is removing a layer of protection. I done mine last year, and this year they went bad quicker. Done them again tonight, looks good again - but I'm not sure for how much longer. A freind rates the 3M one, as one that replaces the layer you just removed but ive never used it.

basically once done like this, you'll have to do more often - but it does look good when done :)
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

I have a couple before and after photos of the Meguires kit attached. My friend had some leftover, so didn't pay for it (well, not with money).
Attachments
WP_20150725_003.jpg
WP_20150725_003.jpg (459.68 KiB) Viewed 5991 times
3P2A9773.jpg
3P2A9773.jpg (349.99 KiB) Viewed 5991 times
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

I've used the 3m before and it does AMAZING! However, the headlights stay clear for about a year. So in order to do it proper, either give them a coat of clear paint with UV protectant or I used some UV protectant vinyl that also protects from stones. They've been clear for 4 years now and clean really easily. Unfortunately, they did cost $50.
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

I'll second both sides: The kits do work (I have a mother's one) but I've known a few people that have tried toothpaste and can say it also works quite well.

Either way you're scraping off the top layer of the plastic so yea, you'll need to coat them OR do it over again in a year.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

I just tried a little washer fluid + a mr. clean eraser & it got my headlights almost looking new. From the front there's no fog, but if you look at them from the side there's a thin layer of fog.
jdlmodelt
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by jdlmodelt »

jaxed wrote:Has anybody used this 3M kit or similar to restore foggy headlights?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WY ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm wondering if I should bother or just buy new units.
yep. i've done about 4 vehicles with this one so far. it definitely works, takes a good 30 minutes of sanding and buffing to get both headlights shiny again.