Front bug deflector for 06 baja

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Mark
Scoobytruck Lurker

Front bug deflector for 06 baja

Post by Mark »

Nobody lists a front hood bug deflector for an 06 Baja. It would seem that is interchangeable with some other model of Subaru such as maybe an Outback. Is there any truth to this? I would like to know where, how, witch hard plastic bug deflector to purchase.thanks
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Front bug deflector for 06 baja

Post by Guacamole »

The Baja hood deflector is interchangeable with the 2000-2004 Legacy, 2000-2004 Outback, & 2003-2006 Baja. The hoods are all the same & the mounting brackets work for all 3 models. I bought mine from the local Subie dealership from parts department for $80, but you can find one on ebay, amazon, etc for a lot cheaper.
scubes3
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by scubes3 »

Subaru lists two different parts numbers for the hood bug deflector -- one for the non-turbo (E2310LS101 - Hood Deflector, Acrylic, listed as applicable for Legacy 2003 - '04) and one for the turbo (SOA930P007 - Hood Protector - Turbo, listed for 2006 Baja). Does anyone know why? I thought that the only difference between the hoods on the two models (Sports and Turbo) was the scoop in the center of the hood. The front of the hood looks the same to me. Previous post reply stated that the hoods are the same as the Outback and Legacy. Why the different parts numbers for the turbo vs. the non-turbo?

I ask because I need to replace my 11 year old hood deflector (broken acrylic mount) and all searches for the SOA930P007 deflector come up as discontinued (including any eBay, Amazon, etc searches).

So, bottom line, will the E2310LS101 non-turbo deflector fit....is it the same design, size and mounting as the original SOA part number?

Thanks.

Pete
scubes3
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by scubes3 »

Well, I just talked with a Colorado Subaru dealer and he explained that the turbo version hood deflector (SOA930P007) directs air towards the turbo hood scoop while the non-turbo version (E2310LS101) would actually deflect air AWAY from the hood scoop.

So, I just may be out-of-luck in replacing the old deflector and having the hood touched-up/repainted from where the 11 years of use and vibration by the old acrylic deflector rubbed through the paint.... Bummer.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Post by Guacamole »

Wow, I had no idea they specifically made a hood deflector for the turbos! I'm gonna go out of a limb and guess the mounts for the two models are likely the same, as the hoods are the same between the NA & Turbo bajas (minus the scoop). Likely the only difference between the two parts is the SOA version is slightly smaller at the top or is curled back to direct the airflow.

P.S. My deflector was warped when I bought it & it vibrated something fierce over 50mph. Easy fix: I duct taped a piece of soft foam pipe insulation to the back of the deflector, used dark-colored insulation & black tape so you can't see it from the front.

How badly is the mount on yours broken?
scubes3
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by scubes3 »

The wrap-around side acrylic that bolts underneath the hood broke off completely on one side and the center clip is just about shot. I tried duct taping the acrylic side mount but without wrapping the whole section in duct tape it just doesn't stay.

I really wonder just how much the two deflectors differ on their aerodynamic shape and if it really makes that much difference. I lean toward thinking it might if they went to the trouble to design two different shapes initially. However, I do agree that the mounting has to be the same. I'm leaning towards just going ahead and getting the non-turbo deflector and using it anyway.

My other option might be to go ahead and get a hood/bumper bra....although some of the ads also state they are not for the turbos (???). Really hard to believe that there is that much of a difference.

I also wonder why Subaru discounted the turbo version of the deflector and not the non-turbo version.....
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

DON'T GET A BRA! It destroys the paint. Seriously, mine came with one and it's a disaster. If you value your car, don't do it.
RuhRoh
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RuhRoh »

I'm pretty sure I have mine at home still. I removed it when I bought my Baja-T as I'm not a fan of how it looks. I can verify once I get home on whether its a true turbo model one or not if you want it.
My 2006 Baja turbo thread - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3176