To lift...or not to lift? Do you even lift bro?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

RedStage
Scoobytruck Contributer

To lift...or not to lift? Do you even lift bro?

Post by RedStage »

So, getting ready to replace all four shocks on my 2003 Baja....

Having a tough time deciding on the 1" lift spacers.

What are the cons of doing the lift? From what I have seen the 2" or more causes issues with the boots on the drive axles.

I want to do it, but not really sure I have a reason other than scratching the "mod" itch...
Squirrel_murphy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: To lift...or not to lift? Do you even lift bro?

Post by Squirrel_murphy »

I'm in the same boat as you. Thinking about King spring cause my 03 feels like a lowrider! Not really a need more of a want.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

I *think* the King Springs would be a better way than spacers, because they are firmer springs and would give better handling than simply raising the ride height with the stock springs. At least, that's what I did on my 2003, and it feels like there's less body roll around corners.
Squirrel_murphy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Squirrel_murphy »

How much lift did you get with the King springs?
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Unfortunately, I didn't measure before and after... plus, the old shocks/springs were likely 13 years old, so they were tired, worn, and wouldn't accurately reflect healthy suspension changes (and the rear dampers were so bad that they weren't actually doing anything...). I have some photos in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3175&p=17963#p17963
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

One inch spacers will give you an improvement in ground clearance with very little effect on handling and axle stress. The truck can be lifted as much as you want though, 4in is pretty easy, the important thing is that the relationship between the struts and the rest of the suspension remains about 1inch of difference or less. In a 4in lift you are extending the struts by 4in and the crossmembers by 3in giving you 4in of lift and the extra inch of clearance at the cossmembers. This assumes OEM axles, the extreme duty ones allow more travel.

It can be debated that we are doing a suspension lift or a body lift depending on where you draw the distinction. If you look at most modern IFS lift kits for trucks it very closely resembles what we are doing, but compared to an old fashioned axle and frame rig we would be closer to a body lift. I like to think of it as a hybrid.
bosshoss1979
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bosshoss1979 »

Just found out about this forum. Cool stuff. Anyways, I have 2003 baja that I am lifting. I am using the springs off of a 2005 baja that I got a deal on. I am also using 1' spacers that I purchased from subtle solutions. I hope to install these next week. I will post some pics on how it goes. The springs from the 2005 should give me an extra inch and the spacers another inch for a total of about 2. Wasn't looking to go much more than that. I know another baja owner that used king springs and likes them a lot. I spoke to a forrester owner that just used king springs and he loves them. I would've went with king springs but I got such a good deal on the 2005 springs. The mechanic that i just started using recommends the king springs as well. He used to be a certified mechanic at the subaru dealership. Now I just need to figure out tires.

I will say I think its worth it to lift the 03's as they are an inch lower than the other years. The ground clearance on the 03 should be at 7.3".
RedStage
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RedStage »

Well, I ended up just replacing the shocks. may do springs and a lift when I have some disposable income.

I did gain height back considering the condition of my old shocks. She's back to factory ride height.
bosshoss1979
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bosshoss1979 »

So I finally did the lift. I used the 1" spacers from subtle solutions and the springs from a 2005 Baja. It appears to be a 2" lift after everything is said and done. A couple of issues you may run into. The front seat bar did mount back on but I did order new end links for the front. I ordered ones from kartboy that fit the wrx sedan. The rear end was the biggest issue. The sway bar did not go back on so I ordered klc-144 endlinks made by whiteline. I will be putting those on next week and I'll let you know how that goes. I like the ride so far. I went and got the alignment done. Everything worked out good except for the rear toe. We had to loosen up some stuff to get the shock to fit in the rear. It was difficult. The rear springs are tough to deal with. The car drives fine and don't notice any shaking. The tech said the rear toe is only slightly off. I will look again at it when I put the endlinks on. I used Monroe shocks for a 2003 Baja as they had a $100 rebate. They worked fine. Again this is on a 2003 Baja.
In my opinion I think that going with new king springs for the 2" lift may be the easiest to do. The spacers work great but you will also need springs from a later year Baja. You can rent a spring compressor tool from autozone. If you have an impact driver it will make life a lot easier. Putting the lift on the back end was difficult because you have to get the spring and strut compress to line back up for the wheel. Trying to get that to happen and not have the whole car lift instead was a challenge.

After getting the lift done I love the Baja even more. It's fun to drive. Now I'm going to look into new tires. Another Baja owner that lifted his out 17x9 rims that have a 48 mm offset and he has no rubbing. I know I glossed over some stuff but feel free to ask questions.
before the lift
before the lift
IMG_2238.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 11837 times
after the lift
after the lift
IMG_2239.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 11837 times
IMG_2240.jpg
IMG_2240.jpg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 11837 times
DC Rally
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by DC Rally »

Mna this looks fantastic!

Where did you get the springs for an 05?

I have an 03, trying to figure out what to do. Maybe someone can help me out with these questions (Hoping i am not repeating stuff already discussed!)

- So the 03's ride ~lower due to the springs, 04+ have a taller/stiffer spring. So when King springs say +1.5" is that from the 05 spring? I.e. would king springs on my 03 lift it 2.5" whereas the same springs on an 04/05 would lift it ~1"?

- Its hard to know what to do, KING springs are a chunk of change, and it doesnt seem clever to add them to 13 year old shocks that are likely very tired... but then springs + shocks = ~1200 Canadian monies all in which is a good chunk of change.

- I was going to go wit 2" spacers, but its already very leany - i dont imagine 2" spacers will help with that feeling?

- Maybe an 05 spring set + 1" spacers be the way to go like someone else already just done? (Any good tips on where to buy 05 springs?)

Anyway... sorry for all the questions!
My Baja is eh.... going through full restoration. Ill post a restoration thread maybe some of its of interest. The joys of canadian cars.... alot more unintentional lightening of weight (rust) activity underneath that first through.... :)

D
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

DC Rally wrote:- So the 03's ride ~lower due to the springs, 04+ have a taller/stiffer spring. So when King springs say +1.5" is that from the 05 spring? I.e. would king springs on my 03 lift it 2.5" whereas the same springs on an 04/05 would lift it ~1"?
My understanding is the King Springs are +1.1" from the 03 factory springs, which is about the same as the 04-06 Baja springs. At least, the ones I got were like that. http://get-primitive.com/suspension-lif ... ester.html
DC Rally wrote:- Its hard to know what to do, KING springs are a chunk of change, and it doesnt seem clever to add them to 13 year old shocks that are likely very tired... but then springs + shocks = ~1200 Canadian monies all in which is a good chunk of change.
My 13-year-old stock shocks were completely worn out in the rears, and almost worn in the front. The rears were just there for decoration; absolutely no dampening was happening (they could be pushed in easily with one hand). I got KYB GR-2s from Amazon.
DC Rally wrote:- I was going to go wit 2" spacers, but its already very leany - i dont imagine 2" spacers will help with that feeling?
I imagine not... especially with the 13-year-old parts on there.
DC Rally wrote:- Maybe an 05 spring set + 1" spacers be the way to go like someone else already just done? (Any good tips on where to buy 05 springs?)
Sorry, can't help there...
DC Rally wrote:The joys of canadian cars.... alot more unintentional lightening of weight (rust) activity underneath that first through.... :)
Agreed... mine spent most of its life in Ontario and Quebec. I drove it to California last year, and seems like the mechanics here don't deal with rust often...
alignment.jpg
alignment.jpg (691.15 KiB) Viewed 11772 times
DC Rally
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by DC Rally »

Many thanks for the reply!!

I'll put up some pics of my truck... ergh.. bit more rust that first thought!!!

I got a great price from my local Subaru dealer on '05 Springs - are they something i can swop right in to my 03 and get hopefully a little bit of lift? (without changing shocks or other parts?) Is that what you done bosshoss?

Thanks!
Donal
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

I've heard (although not personally confirmed) that the shocks, mounts, etc. are identical between the 03 to 06 Bajas... the only difference between 03 and 04-06 is the stiffness of the coil spring.