Baja 2" receiver trailer hitch? Not for towing

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Squirrel_murphy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Baja 2" receiver trailer hitch? Not for towing

Post by Squirrel_murphy »

I recently purchased an 03 Baja and in need of a 2" receiver trailer hitch. I have a Yakima HoldUp 2 bike rack that is normally used on my Eurovan. I would love to use it on my baja. I'm aware that I could use adapters to make it work with an inch and a quarter receiver but I don't want to see 10k worth of mountain bikes swinging and swaying behind me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Baja 2" receiver trailer hitch? Not for towing

Post by canuck37 »

I was never able to find a 2" Class 2 receiver hitch for the Baja. I went with a standard and readily available 1.25" Class 1 type, then bought an adapter from Walmart that inserts into it and provides a 2" receiver outlet. Definitely NOT for towing, just for canoe rack, etc.........never had any problem with swinging/swaying....you can always put a shim into the receiver to prevent that. Happy trails...
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Just get the adapter welded in, no sway there.
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

You know, I considered doing that myself originally, but the dang thing sticks out about 10" from the bumper when the adapter is in there, and I kept whacking my leg on it! So, decided that since I don't use it all that frequently, just go with the temporary install when needed.....my shin is grateful!
dorelse
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dorelse »

I would get the adapter & hitch welded together...not the adapter to the car. You can wrap a little gorilla tape around the part that inserts into the receiver slot on the car to snug things up.

If you're trying to eliminate all play from that connection, you'll find that difficult. They all do it to some degree.
Squirrel_murphy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Squirrel_murphy »

Ended up buying a new bike rack that fits the 1 1/4 hitch. The hitch pin threads thru the receiver into the rack. No sway and no play!
Rsmith8126
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Rsmith8126 »

Amazon has what you need