Why do you think the Baja "failed"

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Why do you think the Baja "failed"

Post by Acro2pilot »

I was discussing the truck with someone the other day who is likely going to buy one as it is exactly what he wants in a truck, but he asked an honest question, if they were so good why were they produced for such a limited time period?

Speaking for myself I did not buy one while they were in production. First they had me ready to write a check when the STX prototype was shown with the supercharged EJ25 and the dual range T-case, good ride height etc. then when it hit the showrooms with all those features removed my reaction was to put the checkbook away and pass. The initial disappointment took years to wear off. And frankly the Brat was suitable for my truck needs. Once I decided Brats were too rare and rust prone to put to work I did a full restoration and now it lives in the garage, gets shined after every drive and taken to car shows and cruises. So needing a truck for truck things I looked at two candidates, the Ford Raptor and the Baja, somewhat different directions but both performance trucks. I decided to go the Baja route and build what I think Subaru should have built. But that can't have been the mass market reason for not buying one, could it?

Subaru, as much as I love their engineering, has a long and boneheaded history of managing their lineup. They pulled the Brat at the beginning of the mini sport utility boom, introduced the SVX at the collapse of luxury sports car market and failed to create an upmarket brand to sell it under, launched the Impreza RS without the WRX or STi trim level, and quite a few other mistakes I could mention. But for the Baja they sold about as many in 4 years as they had projected to sell in a year, the timing seemed good for a swiss army knife type vehicle, the market was there, the truck was good, but it was a slow seller.

Perhaps it could have been the economics of the Indiana joint owned plant, and correct me if I am wrong, Subaru had 4 years remaining use of that line after Isuzu backed out. Perhaps the plan was to produce it for those 4 years only?

If they had released it with the dual range, forced induction, and greater ride height would that have sold better? While it would have sold one to me, I don't think that would have made it a big seller. You just don't see many of them heavily modded for off road, I know of 4 in the world that have been lifted with full kits (not 1 or 2 in. spacers) and two of them were mine, so making it more off road capable and truck like probably would not hit the target audience. So what then, more car like with an STi level trim? I see more Bajas modded for on road performance for sure but no all that many, not like WRXs. I am curious what others think about why it didn't sell well and how it could have done better.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Why do you think the Baja "failed"

Post by Guacamole »

The Baja "failed" because...
A. It was primarily introduced into the American market. See following from the World Encyclopedia 'Murica Edition:
"A Truck, also known as a Chevy, Dodge, or Ford, is a large transportation vehicle usually used for utility purposes with a large open compartment in the rear of the vehicle, the dimensions of which are usually equivalent to that of a swimming pool." (& yes I've been laughed at by my farmer friends for my "truck")
B. It was expensive even for a Subaru.
C. No turbo option on the initial 03 model & general lack of power.
D. Most of the initial advertisements for the Baja featured the Baja Yellow 03 Classic model, & the color selections were pretty slim. If you're not in the auto industry, you probably won't get the joke of the "baja yellow" color scheme (& let's face it, Average Joe wouldn't want to drive a yellow car).

But seeing that most medium-quality Bajas sell like ice cream on a hot day, Subaru could easily corner the light truck market if they rebooted both the Brat & Baja, so it really just came at the wrong time.

Hyundai will be coming out with the diesel Santa-Cruz, which premiered as a light truck reportedly to "kill the Baja", but is now going to be more of a Chevy Avalanche. Dodge premiered the Ram Rampage, which was originally a 4-door version of the Fiat Strada Adventure (which I would 100% buy), but turned it into another Avalanche-like boring box truck (with sliding doors! ugh!). I have doubts that both these trucks will be successful due how they're being refitted for the stereotypical "Murican" market, rather than the nonexistant light truck market. Plus given the specs and accessories for these vehicles, both auto companies seem to be using hipsters & Ford drivers as their consumer base, so the result will inevitable end up looking like a boring box truck on the outside with as many pointless gizmos as a Tesla, and will probably cost as much as one too.

In summation: Subaru... build the Baja again with a wider selection of colors, a little more storage space, more power, less weight, better brakes, and optional bed cover for all Baja versions & you'll be swimming in money.

Just my 2-cents. :D
dalerich
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dalerich »

I was ready to buy one in 2005, but with expected children in my near future, and never wanting a mini van, I ended up with an Outback. I expect kid stuff to fill the rear, needed to tow a pop up camper, and the enclosed Outback seemed to be the better choice. The choice also kept the wife happy at the time. Ended up only one child, so I made the change now that bikes are being transported, and camper sold.
2005 Baja Sport
dorelse
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dorelse »

I can give you my opinion as a guy who laughed when they were announced. I'm a former full time truck owner for the last 20 years. If you're going to market it with an open bed...it's going to be compared to other trucks. Regardless of whether you're marketing it as a Sport Utility Truck or whatever else marketing could come up with.

The colors were dumb (and yes, I own an '03)...and they slapped on such large body cladding that was a poor attempt to make it 'look tough'. The cladding was only highlighted by the advertised Yellow/Silver version, and not in a good way. The body cladding design phase was over, and all of us in the Midwest were seeing how badly (and quickly) cars with cladding rusted out. I remember saying nice idea, fold through bed is great, can't haul plywood, can't tow much and I'm not on Baywatch.

IMO, and it still is, that its a great design, marketed poorly and has a couple of design miscue's. If they were to base a new Baja off the Crosstek or Forester so it has a taller stance, give it a few higher capabilities they could have a winner again.